Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Tank Battalions

Rob McGlynn

War Machine a BBC drama documentary was shown in 2014. It told the story of the crew of 14th Battalion Tank Niveleur at the Battle of Amiens. Quite a famous tank now.

I guess most people on this forum know this already but I think it is still appropriate to mention it for the record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f8cw8 

The link above is to a trailer page. It is currently not available on iplayer in the UK. 

Rob if you haven't seen it perhaps you could pull a few strings with BBC Scotland and get yourself a copy!

INW

P.S. Niveleur is French for 'Leveller'. The tank it was number 9437.

I player fails again. "Not available in your location". The BBC have been promising for over 20 years to sort out their policy re overseas access. Resoundingly, no progress.

David

Hello All, Robertson's diary for Amiens is fascinating - beautifully written and very description. I especially love the little comment about the 'cynical' Cameron! How could you not be cynical if you were a tanker! Dear David, many thanks for that reference. May I ask: Is there potentially Cameron material ( which twin!?) in the papers of Lieutenant Colonel G A McL Sceales?

Dear Stephen, yes it seems that way doesn't it - such a shame that this period of the tank is not (as far as we know) preserved with any first hand accounts. Would this happen to be this Fiona Cameron ?? If so I might they and reach out to her and see if there is anything he might've left behind. I'm sure this has been one before though.

Rob

Yes that is Fiona.

She knew Stuart all her life as her mother and he were cousins.

She has many happy memories of Stuart but no additional details of his service 

Rob

I have no idea exactly what is in Sceales IWM papers. According to the description the papers relate to his time as Commander of the 14th Battalion, so the potential for Cameron material is there. I thought it was odd that the Battalion War History specifically mentions the arrival of the Cameron twins. I wouldn't have thought that two section commanders warranted such prominence.

David 

Thank you gentlemen, the chase continues. presently I am having fun scoping out WW1 aircraft for our flight reconstructions...and looking for a MK V tank too. I believe NZ has one using a tractor chassis. I seem to remember as well that a fellow built his own recently in the UK and was parking it in his carport t the front of his house...hence the news story as his neighbours complained!

10 hours ago, Rob McGlynn said:

Thank you gentlemen, the chase continues. presently I am having fun scoping out WW1 aircraft for our flight reconstructions...and looking for a MK V tank too. I believe NZ has one using a tractor chassis. I seem to remember as well that a fellow built his own recently in the UK and was parking it in his carport t the front of his house...hence the news story as his neighbours complained!

With regards WW1 aircraft, for originals in flying condition in the UK you can do no better than the Shuttleworth Collection - for replicas the Great War Display Team:

http://www.shuttleworth.org/the-collection/

http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com/gallery.html

As to the tank, that is a reference to the replica built for The Magic Flute - the current owner did not build it but has only done some minimal cosmetic work to it and it still looks very odd seen from the side (due to it being noticeably reduced in length and not width):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-24427014

The War Horse replica at Bovington is infinitely better in every respect:

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/military-history/first-world-war/art372386

Following post 32:

I passed an airfield in South Island New Zealand about 20 years ago which seemed to be only populated by bi-planes; they built and restored them. I was on a trout fishing trip and had not got much time to look around. It now has a website and seems to be even busier than it was then. http://www.experiencemandeville.com/

Lets hope your budget is not restricted and you can come to the Shuttleworth Collection. Otherwise Mandeville many be able to help. Most of the planes on the website are 1920s. If there are WW1 planes in NZ they will know!

yes Andrew I thought it looked a bit odd too. It appears though that NZ is the place to go as it has Peter Jackson's private aircraft collection (The museum tells me has 22 replicas, part of which is housed here). And it appears he built two MK V replicas as well. Obviously there's money in hobbits!

I watched the series again about six months ago.

The series is still on Google play store.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I watched the series again about six months ago.

The series is still on Google play store.

Hope this helps.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2017 at 05:46, Rob McGlynn said:

Hello All, Robertson's diary for Amiens is fascinating - beautifully written and very description. I especially love the little comment about the 'cynical' Cameron! How could you not be cynical if you were a tanker! Dear David, many thanks for that reference. May I ask: Is there potentially Cameron material ( which twin!?) in the papers of Lieutenant Colonel G A McL Sceales?

Dear Stephen, yes it seems that way doesn't it - such a shame that this period of the tank is not (as far as we know) preserved with any first hand accounts. Would this happen to be this Fiona Cameron ?? If so I might they and reach out to her and see if there is anything he might've left behind. I'm sure this has been one before though.

Rob

I will be in London soon and wondered if it was worthwhile visiting the Imperial War Museum to look at Sceales' papers. The 14th Bn war history refers to Sceales' diary as evidencing amendments to the draft, intriguing.

David

Edited by dgibson150

Hi David, I had a researcher photo Sceales' diary and letters and I have attached three pages for your interest. I find them really hard to read, I'm sorry to say. Hope you have better luck than me. There are a few more pages to this 'account' too. Other material is letters to his mum ( I think) and other such bibs and bobs.

Sceales13.jpg

Sceales14.jpg

Sceales15.jpg

• spof changed the title to Researching Tank Battalions