Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommendations - when driving up from Lyon

JustinL

In mid-August my son is meeting up with a friend who lives near Lyon. Their current plan is to drive north, spend some time at Verdun, before heading further north into the Ardennes to do some WW2 touring. However, they are open to better suggestions.

It struck me that the Vosges area would be closer and might be a good alternative destination.

I would really welcome some advice, recommendations or suggestion about sites to visit along that eastern end of the Western Front or should they consider the front to the west of Verdun in Champagne.

Justin

Hello Justin,

There's a lot to see at Verdun and some good threads on this forum. The Vosges area is fascinating too but you need to know where to go and walk to discover some of the hidden gems.

Other sites that are a "must see" to me are:

- Butte De Vauquois: in my opinion the best WW1 site with preserved trenches ; craters and tunnels

website here: http://butte-vauquois.fr

- Main de Massiges: a very well done recreation of trenches, saps, on the Champagne front

website here: http://www.lamaindemassiges.com

Lyon was far away from the WW1 battlefields but there are some interesting sites to see nearby:

- CWGC Saint Germain au Mont d'Or cemetery

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/33986/ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D'OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

- the French cemetery at La Doua at VIlleurbanne

it contains 6359 graves ( 3622 are from WW1), including a large Muslim plot and also the graves of 450 French soldiers who were coming back from the italian front and were killed in a railway accident on 12 December 1917 at Saint Michel de Maurienne. It is considered to be the deadliest railway accident in France.

And some WW2 sites:

- the "Tata sénégalais" at Chasselay. It is a UNIQUE war cemetery in France, it contains the graves of 194 Senegalese riflemen slaughtered by the S.S. Division Totenkopf in JUne 1940. "Tata" means in senegalese "enclosure of sacred ground", the cemetery has a unique and very specific design. Well worth a visit !

http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/fr/le-tata-senegalais

- the German cemetery at Dagneux (Ain) containing the graves of 19.913 germans soldiers who died in 1944 after the landing in Provence.

Enjoy your visit !

Regards,

Sly

Hello Sly, that's fantastic. Thank you very much. I shall pass the details on to my son.

Rgds, Justin

Plenty more places to see as well. Pristine tenches untouched since 1918 (my secret), in several places.

WW2, Battle of the Bulge, Maginot Line forts. They could easily spend the rest of their lives exploring.

Hi Justin

Sly's list is indeed fascinating and I would definitely recommend Vauquois; apart from Les Eparges which is the other 'bookend' of the Verdun salient it is unique in my experience. Since your son is in the area I would recommend the American Memorial on the Butte de Montfaucon. If they are up to climbing the 230 odd steps the views from the top are awesome. Apart from the US sites in the immediate vicinity the view to the Verdun battlefield to the east are stunning if you get a clear day. The Butte de Montsec American Memorial is equally good for viewing the St Mihiel battlefield if they happen to be in the area.

As Healdav says there is a lifetime's worth of places to see.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Thank you both. Clearly I should be going with them :D. I'm very envious.

Healdav - The site of the Battle of the Bulge is indeed why the lads are heading further north. Where are your secret pristine trenches? Let me guess ... it's a secret.

2 hours ago, JustinL said:

Thank you both. Clearly I should be going with them :D. I'm very envious.

Healdav - The site of the Battle of the Bulge is indeed why the lads are heading further north. Where are your secret pristine trenches? Let me guess ... it's a secret.

And if they would like to see the American front line at the start of the Battle, with foxholes still intact, PM me.

If they are very polite, I might even takethem to see the trenches (a whole day's trip).

Another vote for the trenches at Massiges, an essential site to visit.