Wienand Drenth

Do you have anything on

Henderson, Lieutenant Colonel K DSO

One time brigade Major to 64th brigade, 21st division

cheers in advance

Arm

Hello Arm,

I hope this is your K Henderson

Major K Henderson DSO, he is listed as Assistent Qr Mr General of the Meerut Division. This is in the Commands section. In de Indian Army section he is also listed, with date 14 Aug 1913. There are to be also two other entries for him, but these sections are omitted from this Army List issue. One os the list of Indian Army Units; according to the previous entry Henderson was in 39th Rifles. The other is the list of qualifications of officers.

In the July 1916 list he is listed as a General Staff Officer 2nd Grade, with date 2 May 1916. Other entries in this list are the same (one for the Indian Army, and the two omitted)

I hope this is of use.

Cheers and happy Xmas,

Wienand

Do you have anything on

Henderson, Lieutenant Colonel K DSO

One time brigade Major to 64th brigade, 21st division

cheers in advance

Arm

That would be him as he came over to the western front with the Merut div.

thanks very much and merry xmas.

regards

Arm

Dear Wienand.

I joined this website Organisation only this afternoon and have already found your kind offer of a look up service.

If it is not too much trouble, I would be very pleased to receive any details you have on two relatives from Yorkshire, my Grandfathers, and their postings and promotions.

The two officers concerned are: Henry Wilson Richardson, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and Reginald Hutchinson Sutch of the RFA.

They both served in France from 15/16 and I am particularly interested in their Army Numbers, any detail of the actual units they were posted to and any ranks or temporary ranks they attained as well as the rank they were entitled to use once they had left the Army.

Thanks in advance for any help. Adam

I notice that you are researching the Territorial Force? I have some good Postcards of my Grandads first unit, The Yorkshire Dragoons, before the War and would be happy to let you have them as images once my Son has scanned them for me. There are some nice shots of uniforms and church parades from around 1906

Hello Adam,

H. W. Richardson, listed as a lieutenant with date of commission 1 July 1917 in 5th Bn KOYLI. In the July 1916 list he is a 2nd lieutenant dated 19 May 1915 in 1/5th Bn.

R. H. Sutch, listed as 2nd lieutenant om Special Reserve part of RFA, commission date 1 October 1917.

I hope this helps a little.

And yes, please feel free to email me the scans of the postcards. I am interested to see them.

Cheers, and best wishes for 2006,

Wienand

Dear Wienand.

I joined this website Organisation only this afternoon and have already found your kind offer of a look up service.

If it is not too much trouble, I would be very pleased to receive any details you have on two relatives from Yorkshire, my Grandfathers, and their postings and promotions.

The two officers concerned are: Henry Wilson Richardson, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and Reginald Hutchinson Sutch of the RFA.

They both served in France from 15/16 and I am particularly interested in their Army Numbers, any detail of the actual units they were posted to and any ranks or temporary ranks they attained as well as the rank they were entitled to use once they had left the Army.

Thanks in advance for any help. Adam

I notice that you are researching the Territorial Force? I have some good Postcards of my Grandads first unit, The Yorkshire Dragoons, before the War and would be happy to let you have them as images once my Son has scanned them for me. There are some nice shots of uniforms and church parades from around 1906

Hello Adam,

H. W. Richardson.........................................

Wienand

Dear Wienand

I love the Netherlands! Always have from the time my Dad spoke about the reception given to him and his Regiment in s'Hertogenbosch and other places in '44.

When serving in Germany myself, I used to regularly take the Family up to Nijmegen for something acceptable to eat, the white wooden restaurant just before the bridge............. Ah, what it is to reminisce!

Many thanks for this information - the detail on Reg Sutch is completely new to me and helps a lot. Also the confirmation of sustantive Lieutenant for Harry is good. If only the List published their Army (Officers) numbers, but that must be saved for a trip to Kew Records.

Thank you, friend, for taking this trouble in your Holiday. I will forward the Territorial images as soon as my Son has scanned them but, as soon as I can figure out how, I will forward one of Harry Richardson in uniform with his Lady Wife in 1917 so you can put a face to the name you have researched.

Happy New Year to You and to Yours

Adam

Hello Adam,

H. W. Richardson...........Wienand

Wienand

Think I have figured out how to do it!

Adam

post-9906-1136054848.jpg

• 10 months later...

Wienand,

Hi again,

sometime ago I asked if you could look for my Granda Robert Allan, I know that he was with the BEF at Mons I had been told that he was with the RHA..........IT APPEARS THAT IN HIS FIRST STINT IN THE ARMY 1901 - 1907 he was indeed with the RHA. I found a letter from him to my gran that was published in the local paper in 1914 and he was with the RFA. Just goes to show how facts become a little distorted over the years. Any chance you could look uo your book again?

I would also include the AllEn spelling also.

Best Regards,

Swally

Hi Wienand, I am trying to put together the army history of great grand father and hope you could help me.

Goerge Peat Sneddon was an sqms (?) in the royal army service corps and served in the Gallipoli campaign.

I have his service number S4/055789. I also have his medals and know he was mentioned in despatches.

I am trying to find out why he was mentioned but don't really know too much about all this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarvis

Hi Weinand

Is it possible to perhaps take a digital photo (to save the time involved in typing) of the Bedford Offciers?

If too much hassle, dont worry honestly as I can pick it up one day from Kew, just never seem to!!

Cheers :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

Apologies for the late reply, but I forget to check this topic regularly. Being short of a digital camera I can make photo copies of the Bedfords. If you send your postal address by PM I will take care of it.

Cheers,

Wienand

Hello Jarvis,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately I cannot locate your ggfather. The Army List is for the greater part a list of officers, but also regimental warrant officers class 1 are listed. However, you write he was a sqms, which in might be an abbreviation for squadron quartermaster serjeant. As such he will not be listed.

Sorry I cannot be of help. Have you tried finding information through the "official" channels, such as the Royal Logic Corps?

Good luck,

Wienand

Hi Wienand, I am trying to put together the army history of great grand father and hope you could help me.

Goerge Peat Sneddon was an sqms (?) in the royal army service corps and served in the Gallipoli campaign.

I have his service number S4/055789. I also have his medals and know he was mentioned in despatches.

I am trying to find out why he was mentioned but don't really know too much about all this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarvis

Hello Swally,

Apologies for my late reply.

Here are some Allens I found:

R.W. Allen, a major in the RFA, date of commission 20 June 1917

R.C Allen, a lieutenant in the RH and RFA of the TF, commissioned 1 June 1916, probably not your man

R.F.C. Allen, major in the RFA, commissioned 9 July 1917 and holder of the MC

R.H. Allen, also a major in the RFA, commissioned 29 December 1916 and also holder of the MC. He is also listed as a RA District Officers with effect from 26 June 1917

R.J. Allen, 2nd lieutenant in the RFA Special Reserve. Commissioned 21 September 1917

R.M. Allen, lieutenant in the RFA Special Reserve. Commissioned 16 March 1919

R.A. Allen, major in the RFA, date of commission 18 May 1917

I hope the right one in in there :-)

Cheers,

Wienand

Wienand,

Hi again,

sometime ago I asked if you could look for my Granda Robert Allan, I know that he was with the BEF at Mons I had been told that he was with the RHA..........IT APPEARS THAT IN HIS FIRST STINT IN THE ARMY 1901 - 1907 he was indeed with the RHA. I found a letter from him to my gran that was published in the local paper in 1914 and he was with the RFA. Just goes to show how facts become a little distorted over the years. Any chance you could look uo your book again?

I would also include the AllEn spelling also.

Best Regards,

Swally

Wienand,

Any chance of a lookup of my Great Grandfather Capt John Thomas Ball MC, 3669. Served with the 16th Manchester Regt until after the War, not exactly sure when.

Kind Regards,

Dave Murphy

Hello Dave

There is as J.T Ball, MC in the General List as temporary Quarter Master with rank of Captain. Date as Qr Mr is 11 Mar 1918, and as Captain 11 Mar. 1915.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Wienand

Wienand,

Any chance of a lookup of my Great Grandfather Capt John Thomas Ball MC, 3669. Served with the 16th Manchester Regt until after the War, not exactly sure when.

Kind Regards,

Dave Murphy

Hello Stuart,

One D.E. Hickey is found under the Suffolk Regiment as lieutenant with date 1 July 1917. His name is in italics, but I don't know what this means since there is no clear explanation. No Hickey in the Tank Corps section unfortunately :(

I hope this Hickey is the one you were looking for.

Cheers,

Wienand

Hi Wienand,

Could you please look up for me the following

Capt Daniel Edgar Hickey,Tank Corps.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Hi Wienand,

Many thanks for looking him up for me.

Yes this is the same man,he went on to become a Capt in the T.C. commanding a section of tanks in various actions including the Battle of Cambrai.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hello

Could you look up a J R Fleming - Coldstream Gds

Thanks

Hello,

J.R. Fleming, listed as lieutenant. Two dates next to his entry: 25 Oct 1915 and 30 Nov. 1916. The first is probably his commission as lieutenant. Furthermore, before his name stands a "f.o." meaning he was serving under Foreign Office. I am not sure what that means.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers,

Wienand

Hello

Could you look up a J R Fleming - Coldstream Gds

Thanks

interesting...

thanks for helping

Wienand,

I'd be very grateful if you would look up Second Lieutenant Richard Goodwin Rooth who was serving with the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1920/21. I wonder if he is on the 1919 list, please?

Regards,

Philip

Hello Philip,

Unfortunately, there is no Rooth listed in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1919. But, he is found in the July 1921 list. His date of commission as 2nd lieutenant is given as 16 July 1920. Hope this little piece of information is of some use :D

Best regards,

Wienand

Wienand,

I'd be very grateful if you would look up Second Lieutenant Richard Goodwin Rooth who was serving with the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1920/21. I wonder if he is on the 1919 list, please?

Regards,

Philip

Many thanks Wienand,

I am very grateful for this information.

Kind regards,

Philip