Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st Manchester Regiment at Passchendaele

jainvince

A local soldier, Private John Matthew died of wounds on 12th October 1917.

Of the near 60 men who fell during Passchendaele, I have to find out where just 2 were when they fell. Appreciate that with someone dying of wounds and being buried in Etaples Military Cemetery leads to questions as to whether he actually fought during Passchendaele? Can any Manchester's expert help out with this man, please, advising where he may well have been wounded?

Bernard

Bernard,

He doesn't appear on the casualty return for July in the War Diary. The WD only lists numbers wounded for August, September and October.

1 Aug - 1 OR, Patricia Camp

15Aug - 2 OR, Patricia Camp

30 Sept - 3 OR, camp at St. Hubertshoek

October - 132 OR

Charlie

There are two 1917 entries in Forces War Records for this soldier, I don't have a subscription, so worth a look. Often woundings are shown, maybe a CCS record also, which may explain onward movement of the casualty. I would have expected extraction to the Poperinghe area (Lijssenthoek burial) but maybe they were overloaded during this period of 3rd Ypres and Amb. Trains carried casualties further afield.

Edited by sotonmate

Forces War Records will give you more info on his wounds and the sheet is for subsequent treatment but it does imply his original clearing through No 41 CCS on 5/10/17 with severe GSwounds

LongLongTrail gives 41 CCS location:   Godewaersvelde Jul 17 - Jan 18

Charlie962

Edited by charlie962

41CCS was at Godewaeresvelde (SW of Ypres) from 15 Jul 1917 to 26 Jan 1918. I think that this soldier either evacuated by train to Etaples, or he wasn't with 21 Manchesters at the time for some reason.

Edited by sotonmate

Sotonmate, good thinking.

The ForcesWarRecord document, which Forum Rules don't allow me to copy in full, does confirm 21st Manchesters, 41 CCS, evacuation train then 18 GH Camiers near Etaples where he died. Document also available at National Archives. FWR does give more info but not relevant to the 'where was he wounded' question?

Charlie962

Thanks for the information. I wondered through the wood last September visiting some of the remaining structures hidden in the wood. Without doubt very different than 99 years before.

Bernard

Charlie

You might get the answer from the War Diary for the 5 Oct 1917 as to the position of the unit.

• spof changed the title to 21st Manchester Regiment at Passchendaele