Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy "Scrambled Egg"

J T Gray

Did the Merchant Navy have a coherent scheme of gold braid (the "scrambled egg" above) for ranks at around the time of WW1? I have some photos of my great grandfather in uniform (died 1916, but of TB and at home, so not commemorated on any memorial and still in an unmarked grave), but would like to know what rank he might have reached.

If anyone thinks they can ID the rank, I'll post some piccies.

Adrian

Please post Pic of his Rank Insignia. ;)

Last night I looked out the CDs with the photos of him. Today I cannot find the one with the picture of him with the three stripes on his sleeve! Grr! :angry: And as I only have email at work...

So... I've attached one of a Captain (the porky fellow) from the same shipping line, and one of my great grandfather minus any apparent rank insignia standing next to someone who has two stripes on his sleeve of similar thickness to the ones in the AWOL photo...

Hope you can do something!

Adrian

post-24-1103634754.jpg

OK, it dosn't seem to let me do two pictures... The first one, by the way, has all the hat variations I can see. GGF is sat next to the Captain, again devoid of any insignia. Here's t'other...

Adrian

(in the missing piccy, GGF has three rings on his sleeve, but narrow like the ones in this photo rather than broad like the Captain. Oops, I mean like the Captain's!)

post-24-1103634847.jpg