Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T.H.CHAVE

BIFFO

I bought at an auction last week a rolled rimmed Brodie on it in paint

T.H.CHAVE  254931

the auction was in wells Somerset,I did ask the auctioneer if he had any information he said it was just a lot 

I have looked and failed to find anything about this chap

any gwf able to help ?

Biffo :poppy:

Thank you for your help Diane,that's my problem I don't know if he survived, on a well known family history site,there are 3 t.h.chave,they all lived in the Devon area, which isn't to far from Somerset, but that proves nothing,I have written to the family tree members so will have to wait and see

15 hours ago, Bardess said:

Closest I could find was J H Chave who was a Lieut in MGC. CWGC

Was Temp 2nd Lt in the 12th Btn Worcestershire Regt prior it would seem with a Seniority date of 22nd April 1915.

Andy

Hi Biffo,

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:10, BIFFO said:

...I don't know if he survived...

Doing various search combinations including just using the service number, I didn't find anything in the CWGC, Soldiers Died, or Soldiers Effects records. That seems to suggest that he did survive.

His 254931 number looks like a 1917 onwards TF number, or renumber. Unfortunately, according to the LLT that could place him in a number of potential units.

I didn't see a MIC/medal roll record for him, so he may have been a home service man.

Regards

Chris

thank you all for your help :thumbsup:

I have looked on a well known family history site and found out it probably is john haydon chave,he dow on 15th April 1918,known to be buried in LA CLYTTE military cemetery,grave lost but memorial erected.

he was in the 12th batt Worcestershire reg,attch to 19th division m/gun corps, I found his mic and he was entitled to mutt and Geoff

any GWF have the war diary of 19th div for  15th April 1918,as an officer he may be mentioned

Edited by BIFFO

I believe he was gazetted twice ,what info would I find,any GWF able to see the London gazette

5975e76d577b1_jhchave.jpg.0c354a4f83ef64343527ed4916da921b.jpg

In addition to his gazetting as a 2nd Lt., see post #5 the other gazette notifications for him are:

When he was appointed 2nd Lt. in the M.G.C. (Infantry) on 22 December 1915 from the Worc. Regt. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29764/page/9352

and when he was promoted temp. Lt. on 1 November 1916 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29874/supplement/12464 the heading 2nd Lt. to be temp. Lt. is on page 12463 and the heading Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) is on page 12461.

When he was gazetted 2nd Lt. dated 22.4.1915 this would have been on the General List, his posting to the Worc. Regt. would not normally have been the subject of a notification in the London Gazette.

He would not have been "Gazetted" as a 2nd Lt. twice, unless, I suppose, he left the Army for some reason and then decided to return: an unusual situation.

Edit to add: On his medal index card there is a note, something to effect - no trace of rank service overseas, this would suggest that the Army was aware that he had served in the ranks prior to be being commissioned but not overseas. And he did not serve overseas with the Worc. Regt.; the unit on his medal index card being given as M.G.C.

Further edit: The definitive answer may lie within his service file http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1054684 unfortunately not digitised.

Edited by HarryBrook

top man, :thumbsup: