Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quarry Cemetery, Montauban

jay dubaya

Hi folks, I'm on the hunt for old photographs of Quarry Cemetery, Montauban. A great uncle was reinterred here post war and I would be very interested in viewing any photographs of original crosses and how the cemetery took shape both during and after the hostilities ceased. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Jon

Yes, my latest visit was 3 days ago on the 101st anniversary of great uncle Levi's death. It was a very tranquil place on Tuesday afternoon, sadly it was only a flying visit as I was passing ( a slight detour) on my way to Brabant sue Meuse to visit some friends. Hopefully weather permitting I'll stop on the way back too and have a little more time for the usual wander up to High Wood.

My great uncle is Patrick O'keeffe. 6th batt. Royal Irish Regiment. I'll pay my respects to yours in August.  Is your great uncle Levi Woodhouse? 

Yes he is and note that the two are buried in the same plot III. I was in touch with another forum member (search as I may I can't find member Boy Soldier) whose relative is also buried in Quarry Cemetery and has the same date of death as your great uncle and was serving with the Cheshires. He kindly gave me this image many years ago and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I posted it again here.

597330894329c_quarrycem1920.jpg.9bc56ce0049385f69b0279c160cc5e65.jpg

No photos for you Jay, but hubby has a relative burued there too.  Noble Wood dod 14/7/16 KOSB.  Lovely cemetery, never seen another soul each time we visit. We'll be there in three weeks.

Thanks for that Pighills and likewise I've never seen another soul there in what is now over 25 years of visiting, it's always very quiet and peaceful.

I do remember someone else having a relative buried in The same cemetery but can't remember who. I'll have to dig. Yes it's not often visited or mentioned. Thanks for the photo. It would be great to see some old ones. I'll be there on Wednesday 16th August at some stage. 

Ah, we're across 11-21st August.  Not planned which day to go (we usually spend 2days visiting the rellies and the rest touring round). Wouldn't it be funny if we turned up at the same time after saying it was so quiet there!

Jon, I've searched and can't find who else had a relative buried in the same cemetery.  Put your name in the visitors book and I'll do the same. If I see someone there I'll ask if it's you.?

Wiil visit in September.

Jon - was cemetery closed when you were there? 

I was there 18th July. There was work men there working in the outer wall. They had fenced off the cemetery, including the entrance. It seemed to be closed to public -  which surprised me. As I had travelled a long way, I did step over a small barrier and went in regardless. But I was expecting one of the workmen to ask me to leave the whole time -  none of them did - but between the noise of the works and feeling I was intruding I did not stay long. 

Jervis, it was late Tuesday afternoon and wasn't there long, don't recall any fencing certainly not around the gateway, what time did you visit?

Joseph I've never seen the cemetery from that angle, is the photograph yours? Do you know when it was taken? Any chance of a look at a higher res copy?

cheers, Jon

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:46, jay dubaya said:

Jervis, it was late Tuesday afternoon and wasn't there long, don't recall any fencing certainly not around the gateway, what time did you visit?

Joseph I've never seen the cemetery from that angle, is the photograph yours? Do you know when it was taken? Any chance of a look at a higher res copy?

cheers, Jon

Hello Jay. I’ll send you a private message direct.

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Quarry Cemetery Montauban. Works are being carried out on the  wall etc. I was there Wednesday. However we weren't prevented from going in. There was a little gate at the entrance and we climbed over it.

Ahh, we missed you Margaret, we went yesterday.

We too entered by the little wooden barriers, but lifted one aside, walked through and returned to original position when we left.  Workmen very friendly and doing a great job replacing the coping stones (I think that's what they're called) on top of the perimeter wall (they're about half way round so far), together with refreshing/repairing other parts.  It's looking great already.

also loved the information boards just outside the cemetery, I don't think they were there before?

Currently in Ypres for two days then home.

We were there around 11.30 am. We weren't sure to ask or not. We didn't notice the sign until we came out.

Glad to be able to pay our respects. Just home Kim. Stayed in Ypres for past four nights.

Really enjoyed our tour. 

Margaret

3 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Not a spot to be in if you happened to be a German soldier on the evenings of 1st and 2nd July 1916.

We spent the night here (in the comfort of a van) several years ago and had a sunrise mug of tea and bacon butty with Levi. It's a very serene place now and it's hard to comprehend the horrors that took place here a 100 years ago. 

The search for images of the cemetery did turn up a series of 4 photographs of the grave of Pte Harry Shapley who was buried in the quarry siding on the 17th November 1916, the earliest image, perhaps a few days after burial, shows the ADS tents in the quarry, the following three images showing post war changes, I wonder how many times the coping stones have been changed over the years....I never even noticed when they were there actually replacing them :huh: