Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting verdun

kevin donaldson

Hello folks im after a little advice. Every year, myself and a couple of mates do our annual visit to the ww1 battlefields and each year we try and visit something new, as well as visiting some our regular memorials such as Thiepval, Loos etc paying our respects to family members and local men from our region. 

This year we have decided to venture further afield and visit Verdun, this is a totally new one to us and im looking for advice on some memorable places to visit around the Verdun battlefield. 

I have had a look on the internet and im still bewildered as where to go. We will be visiting early September so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I've just run a search using visiting and Verdun and it has thrown up a load of threads which may be able to help you. Some of them have advice from Christina Holstein which is about as expert as you can get, she has forgotten more about Verdun than I will ever know. My visits to the battlefield in the 90's tended to be a bit frustrating because the thick forests which now cover the area, so the sight lines are now obscured. I'd suggest standing on top of fort Douaumont as a starting point, you can see the whole area from there. The tower of the Ossuary has a similarly impressive view, and the museum at Fleury has been heavily modified since I was last there. Fort Vaux is good to see inside the fort, and is less damp that Douaumont. Before Endeavours Fade does a reasonable guide to the main sites, it's a surprisingly small area and you can criss cross it quickly.

I'd love to go back as I've suddenly realised that it is over 15 years since I was last there; way too long.

Pete.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Kevin

I've just run a search using visiting and Verdun and it has thrown up a load of threads which may be able to help you. Some of them have advice from Christina Holstein which is about as expert as you can get, she has forgotten more about Verdun than I will ever know. My visits to the battlefield in the 90's tended to be a bit frustrating because the thick forests which now cover the area, so the sight lines are now obscured. I'd suggest standing on top of fort Douaumont as a starting point, you can see the whole area from there. The tower of the Ossuary has a similarly impressive view, and the museum at Fleury has been heavily modified since I was last there. Fort Vaux is good to see inside the fort, and is less damp that Douaumont. Before Endeavours Fade does a reasonable guide to the main sites, it's a surprisingly small area and you can criss cross it quickly.

I'd love to go back as I've suddenly realised that it is over 15 years since I was last there; way too long.

Pete.

The trees have grown an awful lot since the 1990s. Even from the top of Douaumont the view is not magnificent.

Read Horne's 'The Price of Glory', (an easy read) in one hand and consult the IGN 1:25,000 modern map of the battlefield with the other.  You should be able to buy in on line.  See https://ignrando.fr/boutique/forets-de-verdun-et-du-mort-homme-champ-de-bataille-de-verdun-gps.html.

Much of the walking is difficult because of the forests make it so difficult to see anything.

9 hours ago, Sly said:

Hello Kevin,

Here is the thread about my last winter trip to Verdun, hope it helps:

Sly

Fantastic pictures, thank you so much for the help it has certainly gave me something to start on

Kevin

On 22/07/2017 at 18:51, Hedley Malloch said:

Read Horne's 'The Price of Glory', (an easy read) in one hand and consult the IGN 1:25,000 modern map of the battlefield with the other.  You should be able to buy in on line.  See https://ignrando.fr/boutique/forets-de-verdun-et-du-mort-homme-champ-de-bataille-de-verdun-gps.html.

Much of the walking is difficult because of the forests make it so difficult to see anything.

At the Mémorial you can buy a map of 10 more or less laid out walks around most of the battlefield. Tip: keep a close eye on the forest parcels. There are numbers on the map, and if you keep your eyes open they are on the trees as well at each corner of the parcel.

Edited by healdav

Thank you guys, all your advice has certainly gave me something to get started on, much appreciated

Kevin