Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras - Pte Fulton Cunningham - 1 Northumberland Fus

jainvince

A lady came into the local History Centre and asked about Pte Fulton Cunningham Barr, aged 23 who died in a local field hospital. He served as 34466 in the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers during the Arras Campaign and died on 10th May 1917. Before the war he lived in Walsden and was a 'Picker Maker' and originated from Scotland. She wants a bit more information about him.

Can any expert on this Regiment advise where he may have been when he was wounded so that I can let the lady know. I can then supply her with a Map to help her as she intends to visit the location.

Bernard

29 minutes ago, jainvince said:

A lady came into the local History Centre and asked about Pte Fulton Cunningham Barr, aged 23 who died in a local field hospital. He served as 34466 in the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers during the Arras Campaign and died on 10th May 1917. Before the war he lived in Walsden and was a 'Picker Maker' and originated from Scotland. She wants a bit more information about him.

Can any expert on this Regiment advise where he may have been when he was wounded so that I can let the lady know. I can then supply her with a Map to help her as she intends to visit the location.

Bernard

He's in the effects records as # 34456 , Fulton Cummingham Barr. He had 12 months or less service at the time of death.

The effects registers states he was killed in action rather than died of wounds - Soldiers Died Great War also states the same regarding killed in action.

He was # 31532, Reserve Cavalry, prior to joining the NFus.

Craig

Hi

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

Grahamfield Place, 1, Beith, Ayrshire, Scotland

and agree with Craigs details above

War diary on National archives HERE or on if you have ACCESS to Ancestry HERE scroll back/forth as needed

Reference: WO 95/1430/3
Description:

9 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

Date: 1916 July 1 - 1917 Dec 31
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

regards

Jon

Barr is named on the Todmorden War memorial along with most of the other Walsden men killed during WW1 Both towns would have been in Lancashire at that time but during local government reorganisation in the 1970s became part of West Yorkshire so the archives for the area are now in Halifax. The halifax Great war Heritage Society have access to the records at Calderdale Library and i have always found them helpful with enquiries http://www.halifaxgreatwar.org/index.html. A search of the redoubtable Todmorden and District News shows this article dated 25th May 1917 which may be of some use. Barr may also be mentioned in this book which I am sure will be available via Calderdale Libraries...the link shows just extracts of what is clearly a more comprehensive record of the Todmorden/walsden fallen http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~todmordenandwalsden/ww1memorial.htm

barr.PNG.45ec72a041f02fa80fd6bdc4b9e6cec1.PNG

Thanks for the information. Looks as though the lady will have to get hold of the War Diaries to find out where he was.

Bernard

Thanks Billy

In this instance I did know what he did as we had a works at Smithy Bridge which mad them and had pictures in their catalogue. The fallen soldiers of Littleborough had many jobs which were and are unknown to me as I wasn't involved in the textile trade. Fortunately, when giving presentations there was always someone to clarify the position.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 09:09, jainvince said:

Looks as though the lady will have to get hold of the War Diaries to find out where he was.

If the History Centre has an Ancestry sub, the diary is here. The entry for 10th May 1917 reads:

In the field

May 10th 1917

A quiet day in the trenches but MONCHY Village was shelled at intervals throughout the day especially during the afternoon. About 8.15 pm a heavy artillery duel commenced on our left & continued for about 30 minutes. The Bn was relieved by the 8th Bn King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt, but them [or their] being late at rendezous [sic] , relief was not completed till 4.30 a.m. The hostile artillery was active during the relief & a few casualties were sustained.

Regards

Chris

We did try to get Ancestry and FMP but they wanted to charge us hundreds of pounds for the privilege. We declined. I have FMP as I need to access the papers from WW1 and WW2.

Anyway, thanks for the information, I'll now check out the TM for the period.

Bernard