Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Hospital Patients and Alcohol

Uptodat

In researching for website https://sites.google.com/site/northamptonwarhospital/home

and thanks to BNA, I came across an item in the Northampton Mercury newspaper of 1/12/1916: 

"DRINK FOR THE WOUNDED. SIX WEEKS’ PRISON FOR DUSTON WIDOW. At the Northampton Divisional Petty Sessions on Saturday, Emily Smith, widow, Duston, was charged with procuring liquor for a number of soldiers undergoing hospital treatment at the Duston War HOSPITAL on Nov 21. —She pleaded guilty. James Campbell, private in the Canadian A.S.C., said he had been undergoing treatment at the Duston War Hospital since August last. On Tuesday be went the defendant’s residence and asked her get him a drink he was not feeling very well. He gave her a £1 Treasury note, and told her to fetch him a drop of whisky if she could get it, he had pain in his stomach. Defendant went out and brought back a bottle, similar to the one produced, containing brandy, some of which he drank. He paid two visits to the defendant’s house on the day named, and stayed there all night. He visited the house again the next day at 8 a.m., and returned to the hospital at 7 p.m. Martha Ann Russell, wife the landlord the Squirrel Inn, Duston, stated that shortly after one o'clock on November the defendant purchased from her house a bottle of brandy for which sue paid 6s. She said she wanted it for someone who was ill. Lillie Howarth, sister at the Duston War Hospital, said that defendant smelled of liquor when he returned to the hospital on Wednesday evening, and she spoke to him about it. Sergeant Brown, stationed at Duston, said that consequence of a communication saw the defendant, who said, “A Canadian soldier came to house at 1.30 p.m. Tuesday, and left at 7 a.m. Wednesday.” She admitted purchasing the bottle of brandy, but said she purchased it for Mrs. Johnson next door.” Asked who paid for it, she said, The soldier gave me Treasury note. took the brandy to my house and the soldier had some of it." Defendant went on to say that the soldier visited her house at 8 a.m. on Wednesday and stayed until 7 p.m., and admitted that on that occasion he had some beer. When arrested and formally charged she made no reply. Lieut.-Colonel Harding said it was a great danger to men in the hospital to have a place so near where they could have drink. He was much concerned about it, and was very desirous of having the practice stopped. No wounded soldier was allowed out of the hospital except on special pass, and these were only granted for the afternoon. They could hot keep the hospital like a prison, and the man would probably get out of the grounds over one of the hedges. Supt. Butlin said the defendant was the widow of a soldier and was receiving 18s per week pension. She had two children, one six years of age and the other four. Only three weeks ago he had to complain of her conduct with the soldiers. The Chairman said the Bench were of opinion that this was not an isolated case, and defendant would be committed prison for six weeks in the Second Division."

I have failed so far to find much about War Hospital soldiers drinking alcohol, so please point me to posts, if it has been covered before, or any external sources. How strict was the regime for patients? I presume there was no rum ration apart from at the front. What sanctions did they face for having a drink, whether when out legitimately, or otherwise, or if alcohol was smuggled in or home brewed? Perhaps there is more to this case than meets the eye but it seems a harsh penalty for such an offender. I have also read about the local population taking patients in, entertaining them, taking them on excursions etc. Perhaps a blind eye was turned to moderate imbibing or was abstinence demanded?  Patients, conspicuous in their blue hospital suits, would perhaps encounter a lot of locals, who would want to treat them with alcoholic beverage and maybe a group drink could be therapeutic in some cases?

Thanks very much Moonraker, just the job.

Incidentally 3 Canadians feature in the nurse's book and one said he was in the first contingent. My transcript and caption reads:

" I came with the first contingent that left our native shore
I've pail-sucked with the devil some
and still I'd like some more
I've Been in  a very bloody plight
a Soldier's yet been found
from camping on the ocean to
living under ground
Albert K Smyth
Ottawa
Canada". Albert Kingsley Smyth, 1890 -1971, a steamship fireman from Ottawa, accompanied by his elder sister, enlisted 22/9/1914 as 40494 in 2nd Field Battery of 1st Canadian Field Artillery Brigade. He gave a date of birth a year later than his correct one. He returned home an amputee.

Thanks MrSwan. I have a much better understanding of the context and legislation now, and the need for the evidence of the landlady of the Squirrels Inn, (nearest pub to the hospital and still going today), to safeguard the liquor licence.