Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off piste.

nikp

Hello all.

I am starting to plan next years jaunt to the Somme and Flanders and wondered whether anyone knows of any sites away from the usual tourist sites. I.E. accessible woods with trenches, bunkers etc. Bunkers which are off the normal track etc. Also are the bunkers at Langhof Farm open to visitors? Not bothered about getting muddy. Nearly forgot underground sites would be great too. We have visited The Glory Hole and Bouzincourt Church as well as Wellington Quarries so any other sites below ground would be fine.

Cheers.

Nick.

Edited by nikp

There are a number of books on these subjects which i have put together over the years to help me on this type of Battlefield tour.Searching for Battlefield maps maybe your first port of call. 

Don't want to spoil your researching fun for the next year, Do a search on this web site... It is full of information and  relevant postings.

Cheers 

Many thanks. Plenty of time to research.

• Admin

Somme and Ypres are off piste for me. 

Michelle 

The underground city at Naours which is just down the road from me is well worth a visit. It holds the largest collection of Great War graffiti which I believe is now well documented.

3 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

The underground city at Naours which is just down the road from me is well worth a visit. It holds the largest collection of Great War graffiti which I believe is now well documented.

Visited here last November, we had the place to ourselves.  Make sure you take a torch, and shine it around there are names written everywhere.  Also watch out for the bats.  

Mandy

12 hours ago, mandy hall said:

Visited here last November, we had the place to ourselves.  Make sure you take a torch, and shine it around there are names written everywhere.  Also watch out for the bats.  

Mandy

Hi that looks great is it open in March as visiting area next year? Closed any days in the week?

Tony

Tony, yes it's open in March but closed on Mondays and regardless of the weather it's 13 degrees down in the tunnels. Entry about 10 euros and you get a pre recorded device in English unless you take the guided tour which costs a little more, I always opt for the unguided tour so you can wander around more feeely and give yourself about 3 hours for the visit....take your own food though, what they offer is poor and expensive.

Just now, jay dubaya said:

Tony, yes it's open in March but closed on Mondays and regardless of the weather it's 13 degrees down in the tunnels. Entry about 10 euros and you get a pre recorded device in English unless you take the guided tour which costs a little more, I always opt for the unguided tour so you can wander around more feeely and give yourself about 3 hours for the visit....take your own food though, what they offer is poor and expensive.

Thanks thats great,

Tony

Some pictures, we did the self guided tour and were underground for ages

IMG_1884.JPG.685a342d7349c99f6192c3bbe0ce628a.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG.06040f413a91a84b6ad3ca10dea279f7.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG.30f2c01879eb37e9ba4ace6705aea00c.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG.0fd85ee2bc694fec18f3369515000548.JPG

Vignacourt, is not that far from Naours, to visit where the Thuillers took the photos that are in the book The Lost Tommies.  Some of the buildings in the village, have photos on their walls, as they were in the War

IMG_1920.JPG.6786da31392ba77cf2b9b6257e00dc07.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG.fcb49cdaf1d0f512750fac2a6e52bf49.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG.2ad994ff2238ba1b67a793da9e604929.JPG