Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helles Memorial

stephensmithbb1

Dear All,

I don't know if this is the right place for this. apologies if it is not.
I am researching Soldiers from Blackburn on the Helles Memorial and I am trying to understand the panel numbering system. For instance a name is given as being on Panel 113 to 117 or even more confusing (for me anyway)  when the name is given as being on Panel 119 to 125 or 222 and 223. Can any one explain the system to me please

Regards
Stephen Smith.

Visited in May 2015 - may give some idea. We were privileged to share with relatives of H. W. B. Stewart their moving commemoration. 

Lance Corporal Harry Stewart (Panels 174 to 178) Highland Light Infantry

There are no Cemetery Registers here so we used CWGC details for Capt. Roger Francis Draper (Panel 171 to 173) York and Lancaster.

Worth looking at CWGC for Helles Cemetery details and the Cemetery Plan would have helped us locate panels more quickly.

Google Images and various photographs give clearer ideas.

https://blogs.mhs.ox.ac.uk/insidemhs/death-at-the-farm-re-visiting-harry-on-gallipoli/

https://pelorusjack.net/2015/04/28/anzac-day-at-gallipoli/

DSC05013.jpg.ae53e3d13204fbd18b10eef9b6f16bd1.jpg

DSC05016.jpg.a3f5e445710e735e1f5f731abdbb590a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a bit closer by looking at the 'panel list' downloadable from the CWGC entry for each man on the memorial. They don't actually match the panels, but help to decide which group in cases were the regiment is split between two groups of panels far apart (the higher numbered panels being later additions). 

There is a simple logic to the arrangement of names, simple that is to anyone carrying the obscure UK amred forces order of precedence in their head. Navy first then Army, Cavalry before Artillery before Infantry. Highest rank first. The, finally, alphabetic order.