Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry in India ?

D Rider

Evening all,

I've just been given some photos of my great grandads time in the Army and am trying to find out if he served in the 1910's or 20's.   Can anybody help narrow down the time frame/unit from the photos I've attached?

All I know of him (have been told) is that he was born in Southern Ireland at the turn of the century and he served in india and had something to do with horses.

Now on 1 of the photos (a studio shot) it looks like he's got fusilier collar badges on a ww1 pattern tunic (?) but is wearing jodhpurs and has a lanyard (white or yellow?)

thanks in advance

Mat

IMG_0440.jpg.6e0109a4918f76aae81734fe087e27e1.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg.5594c8702490bf86764476963396769c.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg.9198d0ba74b3e345aef5b3b36fef2fa1.jpg

I'd suggest Artillery, and post-Great War

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I'd suggest Artillery, and post-Great War

I agree. Collar badges were introduced post-war (Canadians wore them during the war.)

The white lanyard is a Gunner thing too: I seem to recall that it was switched from one shoulder to the other at some dateable point, and if you look at the men on foot, dresses in Khaki Driill in the group photos you'll see the lanyards worn on the left.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

The white lanyard is a Gunner thing too: I seem to recall that it was switched from one shoulder to the other at some dateable point

I agree

Prior to the South African War, Gunners were issued with a steel folding hoof pick, carried on the saddle or in the knife. In about 1903 these were withdrawn and replaced with jack knives, which were carried in the left breast pocket of the Service Dress attached to a lanyard over the left shoulder. In the war years that followed, the lanyard could be used as an emergency firing lanyard for those guns which had a trigger firing mechanism, allowing the gunner to stand clear of the gun’s recoil.

At some time during the Great War, the lanyard was moved to the right shoulder, simply because of the difficult problem of trying to remove the knife from the pocket underneath the man's bandolier .

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Additional Text

• 10 months later...

well I got his service records. 

-He joined the RAF in September 1918, demobbed end of January 1919.

-Joined the RFA  in March 1920 and by may 1920 he was in India for the next 6.5yrs or so... in 115/25bde.

-Joined the AMPC in 1941 medical discharged  jan '44.

busy soul.....

Now you can start on the dog. That should put a spaniel in the works.