Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

Guest alantg

I have what I am fairly sure is a cap badge from the Northumberland Fusiliers belonging to my grandfather. Can anyone tell me what substance it is made of? Strangely it almost feels like plastic, although I realise it can't be. Could it be some sort of resin?

Any ideas?

Two questions, do you have a picture, and when was your grandfather in the army?

If he was in the army in late WW2 his badge could be plastic. Something called 'Bakerlite' - not sure of the spelling.

If it is plastic, then it's Second World war.

It's not Bakelite; it is an early plastic, though, usually fixed to cap with two brass prongs.

Generally made by Alfred Stanley & Sons in Walsall, the infantry regiments command quite a high price in collecting circles.

A picture would be good.

Graeme

If he was in the army in late WW2 his badge could be plastic. Something called 'Bakerlite' - not sure of the spelling.

Not necessarily late WW2. These badges appeared from 1941 onwards and can be found in a variety of colours (black, gold(ish), grey, etc.)

Dave.

I don't have a NF version to scan, but here's one from the East Lancs for comparison. They seem rather "chunky" and "cartoonified" as compared with the brass originals.

Dave,

post-23-1103497989.jpg

My grandfather was not in the second world war, although he was in the Home Guard. He was in WW1 during 1916-18.

I don't have a photo but I will do one and post it when I get a minute to do so.

It measures one and a half inches from top to bottom and it is one inch wide; It does have two brass prongs at the back as Graeme suggests.

Just a thought. Your grandfather wasn't an officer by any chance was he?

Officer's SD badges (usually cast bronze) often have the bend down "prongs" on the back and can have an almost "resiny" appearance and feel.

Dave.

Officer's SD badges (usually cast bronze) often have the bend down "prongs" on the back and can have an almost "resiny" appearance and feel.

Once again using East Lancs' badges as examples, here's the rear view of an officer's SD badge of WW1 (on the left) and the plastic badge of WW2 (shown above).

I think you can see what I mean in my previous posting.

Dave.

post-23-1103590142.jpg

Looks like the post-1941 plastic "war economy" badge to me.

dave.

Looks like the post-1941 plastic "war economy" badge to me.

dave.

Me too!

alantg - I suspect that your grandfather aquired this badge in WW2, when he was in the Home Guard.

Do you know where he was living at that time? I think it could turn out to be in an area where the local Home Guard were badged to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

He was living in Cullercoats, Tyne and Wear during WW2 and was in the Cullercoats Home Guard.

What you say makes sense as it certainly seems plastic to me. I didn't realise that soldiers in the Home Guard still kept their regiments.