Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert E Chambers Can we narrow this down to one???

phil1963

I am trying to trace an Albert E. Chambers who was killed in the Great War and who had connections to Amesbury in Wiltshire and is listed as one of their war dead. Research has so far drawn a blank.

The C.W.G.C. shows three with this name and I am wondering if anyone out there could find a link with Amesbury. The middle casualty look the most likeliest sitting in my chair in the library!

CHAMBERS, ALBERT VICTOR Private 36518 26/02/1918 29 Cambridgeshire Regiment United Kingdom IV. F. 24. TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY  
CHAMBERS, ALBERT EDWARD Private 100823 17/03/1918 29 Royal Army Medical Corps United Kingdom XXXI. K. 10. ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY  
CHAMBERS, ALBERT EDWARD Private G/20243 09/04/1917 18 Royal Sussex Regiment United Kingdom Bay 6. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Soldiers died great War shows no obvious links at the moment

In the effects records for 'Albert Edward Chambers' Ancestry gives us;
#18007 (Albert  Edward)- effects paid to his mother 'Eliza' of 2 St James Villas, Romford ( address as per CWGC)

#36518 (Albert Victor)- effects paid to his widow 'Elsie M'
#100823 - effects paid to his sister 'Ada A'
#20243  - effects paid to his mother 'Catherine'

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Phil

you say he is listed in the village war dead. His name does not seem to appear on the war memorial. To which list do you refer?

Mark

He is on the Wiltshire OPC site second photo gives a close up, put Amesbury in first

Den

Checked Freebmd and no Chambers Albert Edward born in Wlitshire between 1880 and 1900, a check in the 1911 census could bring up something, 

Den

Folks,

Thanks for the help so far. Inside the local museum is a folder with the war dead listed and some research on each casualty, but they have hardly anything on this chap, except that a lady called Sarah Aldridge married into the Chambers family (date u/k) but died in the 1920's in London and that there was a soldier with this surname (but it is NOT him) at a local barracks.

Staff did mention that more research has been done as the war memorial is missing quite a few locals who died. I must therefore assume that he is one of them.

2 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

He is on the Wiltshire OPC site second photo gives a close up, put Amesbury in first

Den

Do you have a web page link as a site search produces nothing

your third casualty appears in a list of war dead in the Times May 2nd 1917.He has Paddington W next to his name which i think is where he comes from.regards Alan

Might be a total redherring, but on our local memorial, we have mispelled names, initials the wrong way round...so on Salisbury Memorial we have AE Chambers.

Pte Arthur Edward Chambers, son of John and Sarah.

4th Btn Canadian Infantry, killed Oct 1916.

Andy

Another for the mix from the 1911 Census. Gunner Albert Edward CHAMBERS 81 Battery RFA in barracks INDIA/CEYLON. Born in Aston, Warwickshire and aged 21.

The Battery later came home and was a part of 5 Brigade RFA in Aug 1914 and a part of Meerut Division until Nov 1914 when moved to Lahore Division. Later served with 3 and 4 Canadian Divisions from early 1916 until becoming an Army Brigade in 1917. No connections to Wiltshire seen though. Could have been a patient there though.

1 hour ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Might be a total redherring, but on our local memorial, we have mispelled names, initials the wrong way round...so on Salisbury Memorial we have AE Chambers.

Pte Arthur Edward Chambers, son of John and Sarah.

4th Btn Canadian Infantry, killed Oct 1916.

Andy

Given the lack of an obvious alternative I think a real possibility. Died 28/10/16. Wounded in shoulder and arm. Contracted double pneumonia and died Chatham. Buried in London Road Cemetary, Salisbury. Local papers may be useful. 

Canadian Service papers here http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1607-S028

parents lived Gigant St Salisbury

The RAMC AE Chambers got me thinking too afterwards, by virtue of a RAMC Officer from here who was based at Fovant Military Hospital nearby 18 miles from Amesbury...Being in the Salisbury plain area there were other Military Hospitals and Convelascent establishments. 

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thank-you very much for this. All will be passed on.

Perhaps they could find out much about the Salisbury chap as he joined the Canadians.

Perhaps he was living in Amesbury but working on the plain too.

So much to consider ....thanks for your help.

P