Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badges used on Trench Art

Arnie

Hi All

I have recently found a tobacco barrel Made from two Bases of 18 Pounder II Shell cases.

Braised onto the lower case is an Arm Badge IRifle and pick crossed) that I assume is from a Pioneer battalion. Below is a either a KOYLI shoulder/collar badge and the 'Yorkshire' shoulder badge.

I'm not sure, but something tells me the 'Yorkshire' shoulder title was surmounted by a light infantry white metal sling bugle.

Can any one help please?

Arnie

post-23-1103478483.jpg

Hi All

I have recently found a tobacco barrel Made from two Bases of 18 Pounder II Shell cases.

Braised onto the lower case is an Arm Badge IRifle and pick crossed) that I assume is from a Pioneer battalion. Below is a either a KOYLI shoulder/collar badge and the 'Yorkshire' shoulder badge.

I'm not sure, but something tells me the 'Yorkshire' shoulder title was surmounted by a light infantry white metal sling bugle.

Can any one help please?

Arnie

PS Cannot send picture as yet

Arnie...the YLI wore a white metal shoulder title, curved, saying "YORKSHIRE" with a wm strung bugle above it, so you are correct. This pattern was changed in 1922.

The YLI collar badge, a white rose in a brass bugle was worn on the dress uniform.

DrB

;)

The crossed rifle and pick are the collar badge of pioneer battalions.

The Yorkshire shoulder title, in gilding metal, was surmounted by a bugle, in matched pairs, so that the horn of the bugle faced forwards on ether shoulder.

As Dr. B says, the other bit is a collar badge.

Sme artistic license at work here?

Graeme

Yep...had my head in crainio-rectal inversion. The white metal title came later. GM for the WWI title.

DrB

:(