Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am preparing a centenary publilication to mark the centenary of the end of the fighting in 2018. My focus is the impact on the catholic community in Wells, Somerset.   It will (hopefully) explore the experiences of the 19 men who fought in the Great War;  their life stories before and after the war;  the impact on the church community; role of women in relation to the local VAD hospitals, support for refugees in the area; and their relationship to the local catholic and other schools in the city.

Any thoughts and ideas greeatly appreciated.  

Eric - my wife Sue, on this forum as Orson, has done quite a lot of work on Wells men who died in the war, and also helped organise the Great War exhibition at the museum in Wells - I'll ask her to contact you. 

Alan

Hi Alan and Sue

I have been working on this for a few months and have accumulated some regular data from Findmypast and the BNA about the names on the Roll of Honour.  We are members of the congregatuion and Father Philip is well aware of the project as is the head teacher of the Catholic school in Wells.  I have also been in touch with the Diocesian Archivist for Clifton.  Any help you can offer - or references to useful sources of information would be gratefully recieved.   

I volunteer at the Museum - Tuesday mornings and some Thursday afternoons so I am familiar with the Wells Remembers exhibition and have just begun to loomk at the Wells archives and the Museum Library collection. Again pointers to useful sources would be most helpful.

I attach a document with the list of names from  the Roll of Honour. 

Many regards

595ceafcb1e7c_MEMORIALNAMES.pdf

Hi Eric

You are very much a local then. I, too, volunteer monthly at the museum with Julia, archiving.

My research was of the names on the War Memorial. 

When I did my research it was many years ago and I had no idea of the resources held in the museum, so I never looked there. I'd be interested to know if they are of any help.

The resources I used was Ancestry. This gave me information, if it existed, in the military section and also information from the census as to how old they were etc. Like you I found the variety of people who went to war, and the insight into their lives, that you could sometimes  glean very interesting. I also went to National Records Office in Kew to look at the War Diaries of their regiments. Whilst it rarely mentioned them by name, unless they had some rank, it did tell you about the action that they were involved in.

Another resource that provided some interest was the local journal, which I went through in the library and I would advise you not to do that - the papers are almost illegible. There are, I believe, some copies of the papers in the museum although they would not have as many as you need but the best resource here is to contact Claire ? (Julia would know her name). She works on the Journal and found some interesting items for us, which she had printed in the early months of the centenary. I'm sure she could help.

Of the 10 names you sent only 1 sparked curiosity and that was Chappell. The War Memorial has a Hubert Chappell and Ancestry did not list a brother of that name. Perhaps he was a cousin?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have got out of the habit of checking GWF regularly. If you have anything else to ask you are more likely to get a quick response by sending me a private message.

Anyway, good luck and let me know how it goes.

Sue

Hi Eric,

I have sent you a PM but as you have only 3 post not sure if you'd receive it?

R'ds

Ssjackr