Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting a Casualty Form - Active Service

Hedley Malloch

I would like some help in interpreting a casualty form - active service.  It's form B.103/1 as far as I can discern the fine print. 

With respect to 'Report: From Whom Received', there are three entries: '141 F.A'; 'WRCCstn'.

With respect to 'Record of ... Casualties, there is 'P.T.B.' or it could be '?T.B.'.  Against both abbreviations there are the intials or another abbreviation 'Ad'

'Under remarks taken from Army Form', there are the following: 'B626'; 'EW4361'; 'EW4330'; 'H3811': A.F.W. 3083'

There is another abbreviation 'ACSM' which I assume means Acting Company Sergeant Major'.

The dates are all December 1915. 

He's an interesting soldier.  A 20 year service Old 'Contemptible', a veteran of the Boer War, who was lost on the retreat to the Marne and spent the next eight months on the run from the Germans, some of it hiding in a duck house..  He eventually escaped and was posted back to France in the autumn of 1915.  Somewhere along the line his mental health suffered and he was discharged due to shell shock in 1917.  His casualty form contains the lead up to hospitalisation and discharge.  I need to tell his story accurately, so all help would be gratefully received.

Hi,

Without seeing the form, my guess for the first two would be 141 Field Ambulance, and West Riding Casualty Clearing Station (aka 58 CCS).

Regards

Chris

That's almost certainly correct.

The various numbers under the heading "Army Form" are the reference numbers of the Army Forms (A F) on which the reports were received. These had a letter and number: forms in the B range (and I think the W range) related to individual soldiers, and the H range related to clothing and equipment.

There is a separate (and quite long) thread on the Forum which builds a list of quite a lot of these forms. If you put "Army Forms" into the search tool, you should be able to find it.

(Edit: )

ACSM probably stands for Acting Company Sergeant-Major (more usually seen as A/CSM) but it might be a medical abbreviation. It depends on which column it's in.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

3 hours ago, Bardess said:

It would be easier to see the form. Who is he?

I agree, but my understanding is that under Forum Rules, we are not allowed to post such images here due to copyright restrictions.  If I am incorrect, I can indeed post a copy.

He is 4590 Sergt. Robert Penniket, 1/Loyal North Lancashire.

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

ACSM probably stands for Acting Company Sergeant-Major (more usually seen as A/CSM) but it might be a medical abbreviation. It depends on which column it's in.

It appears in a sentence 'Performed the duties of ACSM', so it is a rank and not a disease.

Edited by Hedley Malloch

You may post an image to support your post as long as you mention it came from Ancestry

Yes, ? [query] TB and Ad[mitted] to...

Thank you for that Diane.  Here goes:

Source: Ancestry.Com to whom many thanks.

All comments gratefully received.

595ba29089fac_PenniketIllness.jpg.60a78d3e0f200166305b69da869f64e3.jpg

3 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

Without seeing the form, my guess for the first two would be 141 Field Ambulance, and West Riding Casualty Clearing Station (aka 58 CCS).

Regards

Chris

Chris,

This fits - many thanks.

OK. It reads

Embarked 3/8/15. Joined No 2 Coy, 7th Entrenching Bn 8/8/15

Rejoined above Bn in the Field 27/9/15

4/12/15 Admitted with 'Not yet diagnosed' to 141 Field Ambulance

4/12/15 Admitted ? TB WR CCS [No 58 CCS]

6/12/15 Admitted with Neurasthenia to No 23 General Hospital, Etaples. There is an entry on H3811 Casualty List [not yet found]

11/12/15 Travelled on H/S Dover Castle to England from No 23 Gen Hosp

10/10/15 Performed the duties of ACSM from 17/9/15 to 27/9/15. WO Letter 121/6288/F2

Diane,

That's great - many thanks.

Hedley