Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

LCpl George Wallace MGC Heavy Branch - Double Entry?

Gareth Davies

Thanks Craig. 

What's the view of the forum on this sort of thing? Should names on the likes of Thiepval or the Menin Gate be removed when it can be shown that the poor soul is buried in a marked grave that is also under the auspices of the CWGC?

I seem to recall reading a topic/thread a month or so ago about this situation. Once brought to their attention, the CWGC position was that the name would be removed from the memorial in due course. I don't know though, but presume that once satisfied about the matter, they would have amended their online records post-haste.

Regards

Chris

Chris' recollection is correct. Assuming CWGC agreed that the two entries relate to only one man, they will remove the name  from the memorial to the missing - as he is no longer missing. It can take years as it would only be actioned when the particular panel was scheduled for replacement.

Gareth - Good spot! Would you be intending to contact CWGC over this?

John

There must be plenty of examples as the "missing" are recovered quite regularly and with current research methods a proportion are/will be identified. Seems an odd thing to do to me post inauguration of a memorial to chop someone off - unless they were not killed. A better solution may have been to simply add a symbol after the name to indicate that either a known grave has now been identified or the identified remains since found, and alter the register accordingly.

11 hours ago, John_Hartley said:

Gareth - Good spot! Would you be intending to contact CWGC over this?

John

Yes, I will. 

11 hours ago, ghchurcher said:

There must be plenty of examples as the "missing" are recovered quite regularly and with current research methods a proportion are/will be identified. Seems an odd thing to do to me post inauguration of a memorial to chop someone off - unless they were not killed. A better solution may have been to simply add a symbol after the name to indicate that either a known grave has now been identified or the identified remains since found, and alter the register accordingly

Interesting suggestion. I am not a fan of removing names from memorials but at the same time if it can be shown that a person named on the Menin Gate does have a known grave then the reason for listing their name on the MG is no longer valid. Maybe some form of mark/symbol is the way forward.

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Interesting suggestion. I am not a fan of removing names from memorials but at the same time if it can be shown that a person named on the Menin Gate does have a known grave then the reason for listing their name on the MG is no longer valid. Maybe some form of mark/symbol is the way forward.

Doesn't the Washington DC Vietnam memorial have some system for doing something like this? So that when a 'missing' soldier is found 'dead' he can be marked as such? and his name remains on the memorial?   Perhaps something along these lines could / should indeed be devised for the MG cenotaph

Edited by trajan
Correction and expansion

Why amend the memorial with a symbol or a strike-through of the name, when the memorial can be amended to delete the name completely (the accurate reflection of the new situation)? It seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.

Can anyone find a photograph of him?