Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele - stories required

BurtonResearch

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on here so I hope this request is allowed.

I am currently finishing a book on 3rd Ypres/Passchendaele based on letters, diaries, maps, drawings, and any other primary sources I can find. My aim it to get as many previously unpublished or little known stories included as possible relating to the battle. I have gone through the diaries at the IWM, including audio accounts, and made good use of the Canadian and NZ/Aus archives as they have good digital collections. 

I am wondering if anyone has any family stories, or unpublished letters etc that they would be willing to share? Full attribution would be given and you would be able to see the book for approval before it goes to print. My aim is to create a narrative with as many of the soldiers stories as possible, in time for the centenary.

Many thanks in advance.

The only other significant archive of diaries, etc, would be the Liddle Collection at the University of Leeds.

You are obviously cutting this very fine  to have it ready for the centenary - presumably impossible for the commencement and, I would have thought, very difficult even for the termination date.

Edited by John_Hartley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Thank you for your comment. In fact the book is almost finished and will be ready for the end of the month. I am just polishing and adding in final details, and this was a last request to see if I could get any additional material. As I mentioned, I would like to get as many previously unpublished stories as possible so any information I get I can still edit in to the final manuscript relatively easily. 

I have found some records in the Leeds collection as well, but it may be a case that I dont get to visit before I go to print. Thank you anyway, I was not aware of that particular collection.

Regards,

Penny

Is it to be an ebook, then?

Bernard

No, it will be available in print. I self publish so all the design is also complete. Same as most historians, its knowing when to stop researching and complete. Especially with this type of work.

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

Bernard