Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Local Memorials?

Greenwoodman

Evening Pals

I'm here to ask for some help please. I'm looking for people who have researched or are researching their local (or not so local) Great War memorial and have published the results either by book or on the web, or intend to do so. Or even if they haven't published and don't intend to do so.

I have to write an essay on "public and private memorial acts", and I'm looking to compare motivations for erecting the memorials in the first place, and motivations for the research projects now. If you reply I'll send out a survey by e-mail which I hope will take about five minutes to fill in.

Please contact me by sending an e-mail through my viewing profile - click on my name at the top of this message, and then on the e-mail link on the right side. Please leave your e-mail address on your reply, and I'll get back to you.

Thanks in advance to those who volunteer. :)

If you have tried to e-mail me this evening, you may have had the mail bounce. Its due to a limit put on the account by my ISP, who have bombarded me with spam today so I'm over the limit!

I've changed the e-mail address in my details so please try again.

Thanks to all who have volunteered so far. Just hoping for a couple more, and I have to finalise the questions, and then I'll e-mail out the survey. Hope to keep you all occupied over the Bank Hol. :D

I've tried to e-mail you but had no luck for some reason. Please e-mail me and I'll be happy to put my name down for a survey!

Alec

Likewise I'd be happy to fill one in!!

Simon

Same here! I like surveys!

Marc

Thanks for your responses. Final research book arrived today, so just making adjustments.

Mark I haven't forgotten you honestly! I believe you were the first respondent - 6 minutes after I posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Delighted to see you're still keen! :)

Richard.

Not wanting to be left out..... feel free to send a survey this way!

Dave.

OK Pals

I have sent surveys to the following:

Adam Brown

Alec McCudden

Alan Seymour

Andrew Marshall

Bryan Shanks

Chris Basey

Dave O'Mara

Jim Davies

Jim Grundy

John Hartley

Marc Thompson

Mark

Mark Hone

Myrtle

Rob Hamilton

Simon Bull

Simon Fielding

SueL

If you don't receive it let me know. Could you please ensure your reply goes to my private e-mail address (below the signature block in the survey).

Thanks again pals. I can still accommodate more if anyone's keen. :)

Richard

A poignant little snippet for you.

I had a note on my website that the dedication cemetery of the Cheadle Hulme memorial (about which we emailed) was conducted by the local vicar Rev Tyson on 29 May 1921.

It was only last night, when I was typing up the account of one of the men that I realised it was the Rev's son - Captain Alexander Tyson, 2nd Argylls.

John

Guest Simon Bull

This posting has made me wonder...

How about a sub-category in this section (or in the document repository section) where those of us who are researching particular memorials could mention our interest, so that anyone looking for information about the particular memorial is alerted to our research?

Just posting one's interest in the cemeteries and memorials section would not have the same effect - my suggestion would create a sort of database.

Just a thought!

Simon Bull

I think Simon as a good idea here, I am not researching a memorial myself but I am always happy to help with info. on K.S.L.I. lads, like where a chaps Battalion was at time of his death.

Regards

Annette

Richard - in case the e-mail got lost, I'll happily do one for you.

Andrew

Richard

Just wondered if, in due course and when you're less busy, you could summarise the responses you get (particularly about motives, etc). As a memorial researcher, I'd certainly be interested to know if others are at it for similar reasons to me (no names, no pack drill of course)

John

B)

Yes, John. Some time in the future, if I ever wrestle this all into shape! :rolleyes:

For those who have not yet returned their surveys (and I fully understand that you might decide not to), can I nudge their elbow and ask them to e-mail them back to me? Its not so much the deadline that bothers me, its the fact that I'm going on holiday a fortnight before its due! :unsure:

Richard

You emailed me one and on inspection much of what you had sent was beyond me I am afraid..

Can email back what I got but it isnt very good

John