Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Merlybobs

2 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You can download the war diaries from 1915-1919 from the National Archive for £3.50:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354148

It looks as though they were the divisional train for the 38th (Welsh Division)

Thank you, the material I have says that they were "att RGA. BFF France" - presumably the Royal Garrison Artillery, or am I wrong? Thanks again

Hello Merlybobs

331 Company ASC was a Horse Transport company (as were all Div Train companies), not a Mechanical Transport Company.

Yes, RGA is Royal Garrison Artillery. Most of their guns were moved by MT sections, which were parts of Army or Corps Siege Parks.

You need to check the company number again. If you can find the correct number, post it here, and I will be able to tell you which Siege Park it was attached to, and give you a War Diary reference.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Merlybobs

331 Company ASC was a Horse Transport company (as were all Div Train companies), not a Mechanical Transport Company.

Yes, RGA is Royal Garrison Artillery. Most of their guns were moved by MT sections, which were parts of Army or Corps Siege Parks.

You need to check the company number again. If you can find the correct number, post it here, and I will be able to tell you which Siege Park it was attached to, and give you a War Diary reference.

Ron

Hi Ron, I have uncovered my mistake. The company I am looking for is in fact 944, which is a MT company. The section is 311 att RGA BFF.... That might explain it.

If that is the case, can you help me in finding more about their movements? The LLT website says that they were formed in April 1917, which corresponds with the material I have - which is a diary of a member of this company. Thank you. :)

From LLT

944 Formed April 1917 but absorbed on 1 May 1917. For 315 Siege Battery at home.

If the company was formed for 315 Siege Battery (johnboy's information comes originally from Mike Young's book "Army Service Corps 1902-1918") then it would have gone to Italy with the battery in spring 1917 and remained there as part of 94 Heavy Artillery Group, later named 94 Brigade RGA. Is this consistent with the diary you have? I suspect not, as BFF is British Forces in France, although most of the British troops in Italy came originally from France.

If your man's unit became the transport personnel of 311 Siege Battery, that battery went to France but was split up, half joining 249 Siege Battery and the other half joining 391 Siege Battery.

249 SB went to France in spring 1917 and joined 5 Heavy Artillery Group, later transferring to 53 Brigade RGA. It seems to have served most of its time in the Ypres sector. 391 SB also went to Italy, in summer 1917, firstly as part of 95 Heavy Artillery Group and then in 104 Brigade RGA.

As you can see, any reference in the diary to the unit's location will help to narrow things down as to which Siege Battery they served with.

Ron

Hi Ron,

He did indeed go to Italy in 1917, and mentions places such as Turin. He was in or around Bussoleno and Turin on the 20th April, and after that returned back to France. Says on the 17th April: "Started for Italy per Paris." However, he returns to France not long after this, spending a lot of time around what I think is Mareuil. 

Thanks