Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My grand-uncle's Navy SWB HELP!

depaor01

Morning all,

I'm finding out about the many and varied military aspects of my otherwise bog-standard family tree. In it there is Dublin Fusiliers, Irish War of Independence IRA, Cumann Na mBan (the female version of the last mentioned) and the Royal Navy.

My query is about my Grand Uncle Joe (Joseph Kennedy) who served in the RN (number J75586) during 1917 and 1918 and was entitled to the Victory and BWM. His records show he was invalided out with Haematuria which I understand is blood in the urine.

I have a photo of him at a wedding wearing an SWB:

joe.jpg.f8e029d258e31153eab381a28cc9a367.jpg

...but I can't find his entry in the Navy SWB rolls on Ancestry. I further wonder if he would have even been entitled to one as I thought it was awarded for injury or disease directly attributable to war service. Not being medically literate I'm not sure if it is possible to acquire haematuria as a result of service at sea.

Just so I can be happy about his entitlement - can anyone find his SWB record?

Thanks,

Dave

There are several J Kennedy's. A few without service numbers. Maybe someone can help regarding whether he's one without a service number?

The Navy SWB roll is here

Hi Wandererpaul,

Although they don't appear on the results list, these all have service numbers. Alas none are my man, and no amount of "match exactly" ticking and unticking helps!!

Thanks anyway.

Dave

Is there a reason that it couldn't be this one?

Kennedy.JPG.1f8dc0ec2e8aa14e03fe335f27ba0040.JPG

Knowing that he was from Pembroke base, an Able Seaman and the dates seem close - re issue on 24/12/18 and his discharge on 21/1/19

595231d405650_Kennedy2.jpg.c6c96225a11548acf087715706bc2e68.jpg

If you look at his service record bottom right there is a notation.

K.C. No. 4455 Issued 15/4/19.

This is the King's Certificate issued to those invalided by service in the Great War. I believe but am not sure that this also means entitlement to the Silver War Badge. I would be grateful if someone could confirm this.

You are a genius Wandererpaul. That's the one. Many thanks.

Thanks Arabis also for the King's Certificate info.

In case any mods are squeamish about the image posting I have a full Ancestry subscription as evidenced by the info I had in the OP.

Thanks again all,

Dave

I forgot to add the link to the page above for the SWB record. :)

3 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

You are a genius Wandererpaul. That's the one. Many thanks.

Thanks Arabis also for the King's Certificate info.

In case any mods are squeamish about the image posting I have a full Ancestry subscription as evidenced by the info I had in the OP.

Thanks again all,

Dave

Does it match to something you have, ie the badge number?

19 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

I forgot to add the link to the page above for the SWB record. :)

Does it match to something you have, ie the badge number?

I'd dearly love to have the badge, but unfortunately I haven't been able to established its whereabouts. Possibly with the Kennedy branch of the family.

I'm happy with the evidence provided and may go down the route of enquiring about the badge - or at least get the number from it.

Cheers,

Dave