The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sjack91

Good morning pals,

I have been trying to find information on the following soldier but I am really struggling to find anything. From the Uddingston Standard Newspaper of 21/11/14 Alex Miller is serving with the Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomany. On 27/10/15, The Masonic Lodge, St Bryde 579 in Uddingston to whom Alex was a member receive a letter of thanks from Alex for the parcel of tobacco he received. Alex joined the Lodge on the 28th of January 1914 at the age of 21. He lived in Uddingston, Lanarkshire at Peel Cottage and was employed as a Clerk.

Any information on Alex or the Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomany would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

6 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Thanks for sharing the link Alf. I will have a look,

Stuart

Is it possibly this man:

Ken

ALISTER MILLER

His Medal Roll shows 

Q.O.R.G. Yeo. att. No.11 Coy. (H.B.) M.G.C. 3136 Pte,

18th High. L.I. 350656., 12th High. L.I., 6th High. L.I.

Medal card of Miller, Alister
Corps Regiment No Rank
Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry 3136 Private
Highland Light Infantry 350656

Private

Ken it is a strange one. When I check the 1911 census there are only two Alister Millers living in Scotland and they are under 10 years old.

There is a good chance it is him but I am really not sure.

Stuart

A fair few units there ! My understanding of Ken's detail of the Medal Roll is:

11 MG Company and it's Yeo attachments were with 4 Division in France from 23 Dec 1915.

A later purge of 35 Division (France) for "unfit men" in early 1917 realised a transfer of 2784 men to the Labour Corps and these were replaced by disbanded Yeomanry soldiers, some of which joined 18 HLI in 106 Infantry Brigade of 35 Division.

18 DLI were disbanded in Feb 1918 and some soldiers joined 12 HLI in France.

In April 1918 52 (Lowland) Division left Egypt for France, leaving behind it's Indian units. These were made up in France from various others and 6 HLI became a part of 157 Infantry Brigade of 52 Division, so your man must have left the 12th to join in.

He didn't land in a war zone until after 1915, maybe late, or after, 1916.

Edited by sotonmate

9 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Stuart

A fair few units there ! My understanding of Ken's detail of the Medal Roll is:

11 MG Company and it's Yeo attachments were with 4 Division in France from 23 Dec 1915.

A later purge of 35 Division (France) for "unfit men" in early 1917 realised a transfer of 2784 men to the Labour Corps and these were replaced by disbanded Yeomanry soldiers, some of which joined 18 HLI in 106 Infantry Brigade of 35 Division.

18 DLI were disbanded in Feb 1918 and some soldiers joined 12 HLI in France.

In April 1918 52 (Lowland) Division left Egypt for France, leaving behind it's Indian units. These were made up in France from various others and 6 HLI became a part of 157 Infantry Brigade of 52 Division, so your man must have left the 12th to join in.

He didn't land in a war zone until after 1915, maybe late, or after, 1916.

Along with the information from the other guys this is excellent. Thank you.

Trying to clear things up abit in my head. Would I be right in saying that he would have served in France and possibly spent time in the Middle East with the 52nd Lowland? He then returned to France and served there until the war ended?

Stuart

Stuart

I can't see that he served in the MEF. On the basis of the Medal Roll sequence of units served I would say that he only joined 52 Div (from 12 HLI to 6 HLI) on it's return to France.