Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what is a P.O.S.B case (soldiers effects)

RaySearching

Soldiers effects records show   J W Gallagher who died after discharge  is noted as a P.O.S.B case

I would be interested to know what P.O.S.B is short for 

any ideas

595119fa8fb7b_posbcase.JPG.90d057bcc67b9796b0687f78a7ce30a3.jpeg

Regards Ray

There is a discussion here that might help:

Thanks Trajan 

I am slipping

I should of done a search on the Great War Forum :D

Regards Ray

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Soldiers effects records show   J W Gallagher who died after discharge  is noted as a P.O.S.B case

I would be interested to know what P.O.S.B is short for 

any ideas

595119fa8fb7b_posbcase.JPG.90d057bcc67b9796b0687f78a7ce30a3.JPG

Regards Ray

The notes show that the W5070 was sent from the paymaster requesting that the monies be paid direct to a post office savings bank account.

Where a man had died the monies were usually paid in cash as the original regulations prohibited the payment to the post office savings bank under s36 of the ACI. There must be some later instruction which altered this decision.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

RaySearching, I suspect you had tried and not found it that way so I did the google 'invisionzone+P.S.O.B.' method which is how I found it... I have been caught our before using the GWF 'Search' engine, and found meself starting 'new' threads' on 'old' subjects', but the google method seems to work fine

Edited by trajan

Oddly, considering the number of war gratuity entries I've looked at these are the first I've seen but I think I can fit them in to the scheme.

Where a man was discharged the pay etc was dealt with by the paymaster - the effects branch only came in to these cases for war gratuity purposes where a man had died before the war gratuity was due for payment.

What I suspect is that these were claims where the effects branch had been notified of the death after discharge so they opened up a case and contacted the paymaster as required using form W5070. The paymaster however replied (on form W5070) stating that they'd already paid the monies before the death occurred and therefore the effects branch simply noted the account and took no further action. The fact that no wages are noted in the registers as being paid also indicates that these had been dealt with by the paymaster on discharge.

Craig

Many Thanks for the explanation Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Oddly, considering the number of war gratuity entries I've looked at these are the first I've seen but I think I can fit them in to the scheme.

There are page after page of died after discharge entry's following J W  Gallagers

Here is the Ancestry Link   to the records  (worth a nosey)

Trajan thanks again

Regards Ray

Just now, RaySearching said:

Many Thanks for the explanation Craig

There are page after page of died after discharge entry's following J W  Gallagers

Here is the Ancestry Link   to the records  (worth a nosey)

Trajan thanks again

Regards Ray

Thanks Ray - just been looking through a few (found the records from the original post) . Cross-checking them against date of death suggests to me that the reason I posted above is the best fit (another little thing to note in my draft manuscript)

Craig

The Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) was the original poor people's bank. Accepting deposits from 1 d,, it encouraged thrift and saving (whether for a particular desired purchase or generally for a rainy day), and was open to all, including children (subject to parental supervision). It did not provide a cheque system, but did offer modest interest.

It was generally seen as an element of the public service of the Post Office, with branches in virtually in every town and village.

In NS times, it also stood for Potential Officer Selection Board where a unit decided which recruits should go on to War Office Selection Board.

17 hours ago, Magnumbellum said:

... The Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) was the original poor people's bank. ....

When I last checked, about 25 years back, I still had 2/6 or so in one but I gather they have long times since stopped and closed accounts of less than GBP 1.00