Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 Gordon Highlanders War Diary April 1915. Does it exist?

rolt968

Not a look up request, but a "does it exist?" request.

I thought I had asked this before, but can't find it. (Apologies if I have!)

Does the War Diary for 4 Gordon Highlanders for April 1915 exist? The ancestry file goes from the end of March to the beginning of June.

RM

Incorrect. It is incorrectly indexed on their too. Just looked through the cd and it too has April 1915 missing.

Edited by wandererpaul

I have it in the diary downloaded from TNA before they redid it all and Ancestry got involved.

I will see if I can find it on Ancestry.

6 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

I have it in the diary downloaded from TNA before they redid it all and Ancestry got involved.

I will see if I can find it on Ancestry.

Many thanks.

RM

Yes, it is on Ancestry - looks to be indexed correctly.

Yet there does seem to be an omission - the Ancestry file goes from 12 March to 1 April missing out 4 pages of diary entries and some interesting appendices (including the RFC 'Notes on Landing Grounds' - not totally sure why that was relevant) as well as the folder cover for April.  All are on the old download.

1 minute ago, GraemeClarke said:

hi

http://www.4thgordons.com/Bndiary1915.html

Regards,

Graeme

Great - but no Notes on Landing Grounds!

More seriously the other two appendices are really interesting - one instructing men not to fire on airships without an officer's permission - it seems the British had been trying to shoot down French airships.  The other is about the tampering with cartridges (dum dumming or reversing the bullets) by the enemy - evidently GHQ are very keen to test the veracity of rumours of such cartridges being found in the possession of captured Germans - 'three officers will at once be assembled to verify the facts and to record the prisoner's name, regiment, etc.' . You find some great stuff in war diary appendices, such a shame Ancestry have lost these!

And thanks for prompting me to look at these pages!

Does anyone have a recent TNA download (WO 95/14212)?  I fear it may match the Ancestry file.  And it certainly isn't the value of the old downlard - Aug 1914- May 1919 in one zip file.

1 hour ago, GraemeClarke said:

hi

http://www.4thgordons.com/Bndiary1915.html

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, that's excellent.

I knew that 4 GH war diary was terse, but that gives me what I wanted to know. My man died at 8 Field Ambulance on 15 April 1915.

RM