Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Large framed photo

wjones74

Hi , picked this up at the weekend , can anyone shed light on his regiment or rank? appears to have four pips ! Is it common to find these this large there are two common sized pics for comparison ,any help gratefully welcome 

20170619_090523.jpg

20170619_090538.jpg

20170619_090547.jpg

20170619_090600.jpg

The regiment is South Lancs and he is a private soldier.  The 4 Stars are I believe for 'good shooting' or simliar and do not denote rank.

One of the four soldiers on your second post (front left) is the same man standing in the other photo.

The four men all have a medal ribbon, but they don't look like 1914/15 Star ribbons. There will be a real expert (Old Owl) along here shortly to advise.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

Sorry Billy forgot to mention that is my grandfather,William Hunt . I have tried a bit of research but I admit i'm useless at it .

Which town was William Hunt living in 1914?

BillyH.

Thank you Old Owl very informative. Yes the ribbons have been discussed in brief before they look similar in shade both sides with a distinctive dark stripe to the center MC in appearance but i do not believe any of these men were able to be awarded it ? 

Salford , he married Constance Hunt we knew he lied about his age ,as did a lot! as he is on the 01 census i believe . down as 1900 for birth date .

sorry not Constance Hunt, crikey cant remember her maiden name 

See i'm bad at this ! told you .

27 minutes ago, wjones74 said:

Thank you Old Owl very informative. Yes the ribbons have been discussed in brief before they look similar in shade both sides with a distinctive dark stripe to the center MC in appearance but i do not believe any of these men were able to be awarded it ? 

I'm afraid that it is difficult to see the ribbons--is it possible to enlarge the areas where the ribbons appear?  It will not be the MC as this could only be awarded to Senior NCO's or commissioned officers, it appears that these four soldiers were all privates.

I wonder if the chap standing in the right hand postcard is infact wearing the early RFC maternity jacket--I'm almost certain that he is?  If you could enlarge this photo as well, then it may be possible to see the 'Royal Flying Corps' title on his shoulder.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Yes Old Owl no problem I'll get those pics now , and yes he was in the RFC I had his wings and cap badge but were lost in a move some years ago . still not over it ! he was possible third class air mechanic , he told my father stories of machine gunning but I don't know how far that story has been embellished , thanks for looking , never have had a definitive answer 

the O single wing brevet I would think is Observer so amongst his tasks would be manning the rear machine gun

Interesting selection of uniforms - is the chap seated right (as we look) wearing an Australian jacket? He and the Observer seem to have 1914 or 14/15 Stars but I struggle to think what the other is - possibly War Medal.

I recall my dad telling me that he was told that chap , (who was extremely tall as you can see in the pic) ,  was from the Netherlands !

5 hours ago, wjones74 said:

I recall my dad telling me that he was told that chap , (who was extremely tall as you can see in the pic) ,  was from the Netherlands !

Hi,

I think that the left rear is wearing the 1914 Star ribbon and the Observers's Brevet and the rear right appears to be wearing the BWM ribbon.  The front left looks like the BWM ribbon again and the front right is most probably the 1914 Star and BWM ribbons.

The photo dates from sometime prior to April 1918 as the rear right appears to be still wearing the RFC shoulder flash.

I am prepared to be proved wrong on all points, but this is purely my own opinion.

Robert

Edited by Old Owl

The ribbon with the dark centre stripe is the BWM as rendered by orthochromatic film. These would put the date after mid-1919 when it was authorized, but likely before 1920 (from the lack of VM ribbons, the VM only being authorized in very late 1919). This would fit with the early post-war RAF uniforms the three men seated/standing viewers left are wearing.

So I was right about the medal ribbons, but is the Norfolk-style jacket RAF rather than Australian?

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

So I was right about the medal ribbons, but is the Norfolk-style jacket RAF rather than Australian?

Definitely no Aussies there, all fliers.

Superb , thank you for the explanation , it does however throw out the half baked research I conducted as the chap I was looking at had a SWB dated 17 for sickness , is there anyone you could put me in contact with to help research him properly? , I would of course pay for their time, love to get  hold of his service record if there is one , there are stories surrounding this man that have not changed over the years passed through the family modestly told by the man himself , I was told he was home guard in Salford before deciding to relocate to llandudno during the war at some point ,and if not to cap it all off if you google" Bond girl disfigured in car accident" or along those lines , he sadly was the driver of that car ! full life to say the least .  

Would the chap you are searching for be William Ernest Hunt, born 8 Oct 1900?

Mark

Hi , no middle name , I'll post up what I have to the relevant thread if it's not appropriate in this one ?

thanks for looking Mark .

What's the link to the other thread? Post that if you have started one.

Mark

7 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Definitely no Aussies there, all fliers.

So is the Norfolk-style jacket a pukka RAF uniform?

It was on this forum but long since disappeared i think , this guy was a good match everything considered ! Sorry its a bit dark .

1497946440748933305920.jpg