Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I would like some help interpreting Form 103 attached. My Grandfather served in the 2nd battalion EYR before transferring to the MGC, he was re-posted and arrived at Le Havre on 27/4/16, the 101 brigade joined the 34th Division I believe the following day. I am trying to ascertain that the 101 on the top right of form 103 would refer to him being in the 101 brigade, there also appears to reference in the report "from whom received" column on the left dated 14/7/16 "OC? 101 ?" Elsewhere in the record it states he was injured on the Somme and form 103 states 1st July 1916. What is confusing me is a reference to "2 Coy"? in the centre of the form at the top. I would appreciate any assistance in interpretation of the document and confirming that he was indeed in the 101 MGC which would place him at La Boiselle on that fateful day.

Many thanks in anticipation.

103.PNG

Kevin,

Not sure if this helps but the Machine Gun Corps companies had numbers (infantry had letters A,B,C,D) according to the LLT 2nd Company were attached to 1st Division.

LLTlink

Looking again at the page on the LLT 101st MG Coy were attached to 34th Division. OC is probably Officer Commanding.

Edited by Gardenerbill

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum.

Forces War Records have a transcribed hospital admission/discharge record for Harry. It says that he was admitted to 34 Casualty Clearing Station on 2nd July 1916, and transferred to an (unnumbered) Ambulance Train on 5th July 1916. He had received a wound to his right leg, when serving with 101 Company MGC, 34 Division.

Regards

Chris                                                   

Thanks Chris/Mark. That has confirmed what I though about his deployment prior and on 1st July 1916. Not sure what the 2 Coy refers to though it doesn't seam to correspond to the other facts.

Kind regards, Kevin

At about this time the MGC was being consolidated into battalions. It is possible that "2 Coy" refers to the second company within the new 34th Battalion, which would shortly become B Company.

Ron

• Admin
On 15/06/2017 at 12:38, kevinfcooper said:

Thanks Chris/Mark. That has confirmed what I though about his deployment prior and on 1st July 1916. Not sure what the 2 Coy refers to though it doesn't seam to correspond to the other facts.

Kind regards, Kevin

Pte Hill was discharged on 4th April 1917, long before the active service MGC units were reorganised in February 1918.

On 27th March 1917 (p.2) he was transferred to the 5th Battalion at Clipstone Camp.  A Training/Reserve home service unit it was organised into four Companies.  Unfortunately in 1918, the only documentary evidence I could find, they were designated alphabetically, i.e. 'A' 'B' etc. not numerically.  I don't know how the Companies  were named in March 1917.  He would also have been in a training unit from 22.2.1916 to 24.4.1916. 

Ken

• 2 years later...

Just out of interest, my grandfather served with 101 coy, 34 bttn, MGC. I know he served on the Somme but not sure he was at La Boiselle on 1 Jul 1916. He survived the war and ended up in Germany in 1918/19 as CSM.