Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Thomas Harry Green, Bedfordshire Regiment (26237) / Northamptonshire Regiment (43096)

Rubberlegs

Dear all,

I am trying to trace the movements of my great-grandfather during WW1 and am hoping someone on this forum may be able to help. His name was Pte Thomas 'Harry' Green and he was a member of both the Bedfordshire Regiment (26237) and the  Northamptonshire Regiment (43096). I'm interested in any information whatsoever as I have very little to go on aside from his dog tags and his medals. 

I have however been informed by the very helpful folks at http://bedfordregiment.org.uk/ that his Bedfordshire service number indicates he was enlisted at the time of the 'Derby' scheme and points to around the 10th December 2015.  I was also told that if I could find out which battalions of the Northamptonshire or Bedfordshire Regiments he may have posted to, this may help further my research.

Not sure if it helps but Harry was from the village of Yarwell in Northamptonshire.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
Mark

If you click on the link at the top of the page "Researching a Soldier" it will take you the a website "The Long Long Trail" (LLT) you'll get research tips there.

To find which Battalions he served with you can find the medal rolls on Ancestry, again the tips are on the LLT and it'll tell you how to interpret it.

Sam

He was part of a big group of 294 Bedfordshire Regiment men who went to France in early July 1916, originally intended to be posted to the 6th Battalion of the Bedfords. They were needed more urgently in the 6th Northamptons (following the battles at Trones Wood on 14-7-1916) and officially transferred to the Northamptonshire Regiment (with numbers between 43001 and 43294) on 1-9-1916 after a few weeks "temporary" on attachment to the 6th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. By dates the movements were as follows:

• Training with 3rd Bedfords, prior to 7-7-1916.
  • To France, 7-7-1916.
  • Arrived at No. 17 Infantry Base Depot at Etaples, 7-7-1916
  • Posted to 6th Bedfords, 17-7-1916.
  • Attached to the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, 17-7-1916
  • Officially transferred to 6th Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment, 1-9-1916 and re-numbered.

The medal roll confirms both battalions. In addition to the battalion confirmation it also states that Thomas Henry Green was transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on 25-1-1919.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for the information you have given me.  I'm in the process of downloading the war diary of the 6th btn Northamptonshire regiment so hopefully this will help me to build up a picture of where he may have served.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

12 hours ago, Rubberlegs said:

I have however been informed by the very helpful folks at http://bedfordregiment.org.uk/ that his Bedfordshire service number indicates he was enlisted at the time of the 'Derby' scheme and points to around the 10th December 2015.

Under the (partially mis-transcribed) name of Thomas Fly Green, he has a few surviving pages of a pension record which confirms that he did enlist on 10th December 1915 at Peterborough.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Mark,

Under the (partially mis-transcribed) name of Thomas Fly Green, he has a few surviving pages of a pension record which confirms that he did enlist on 10th December 1915 at Peterborough.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your input, I'll take a look.

Regards,
Mark

58 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

Thanks Steve.  I purchased the 6th Northamptons war diary from the National Archives and it makes for fascinating reading.  I'll renew my subscription to Ancestry to get at the pension records, and, once subscribed, I hope to be lucky enough to find his service record so that I can understand which company he belonged to.

Thanks again,

Mark