Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Permission to photograph

burlington

No location given away here folks.

I was taking pics in a large burial ground attached to a church. I could not find 3 graves and needed a churchyard map to find them.

To cut a modestly long story short, I rang the Church Office to ask for said map. I was told that I needed permission to take pics. I did mention that the graves were in the public domain, may be paid for out of the public purse, and the lady I spoke to was not amused at all when I said that I was not due to see the Lord for some time (to ask for said permission). She said OK, the verger would do!

Nuff said!

Martin

I have skulked round a number of graveyards and never yet been challenged... bit of bad luck that..

Even when I found my dads grave I went to the Parish Office and they gave me a cemetery plan... most helpful and all for no charge

John

I was taking pics in a large burial ground attached to a church.

I rang the Church Office was told that I needed permission to take pics.

I suppose in these Days of "Civil Liberties" Concerning Images; one should Really Apply to the Tombs Occupant,wether they would take kindly to this disruption after 80 Years is anybody's Guess!

Seriously though as in law a Buried body has no rights,there can be no objection to having the photograph of the Grave taken surely? :rolleyes:

This was a very large and 'active' churchyard. I think that the Church office is being a tad officious.

On a different tack, can I place on record my appreciation of the various local authorities who have helped me out with maps etc for their own cemetaries. I have had nothing but courtesy and support. Well done. :)

I am pretty sure that according to common law you are entitled to be on common land, even if consecrated, for any purpose, and would therefore be entitled to take any photos you wish provided you cause no damage etc to anything on said ground.

As has been said this sounds like officiousness gone mad. I do like your comment about waiting to see him upstairs. Perhaps cut out the middle man and allow his representative on earth to do the permission giving on his behalf.

I was in Harborne cemetery about 6 months ago and was photographing the WW1 headstones. I was crouching down in front of a headstone when all of a sudden I ended up flat on my back after an elderly lady hit me with an umbrella and started shouting "Graverobber!" at me. I beat a hasty retreat under a whithering barrage of umbrella blows, and came to the conclusion that she was probably bonkers.....I wonder what the big man would make of that.

Matt

You are right about Common Land. You have every right to be on it for the purposes of 'recreation'.

However, most cemeteries will not be Common Land which is a legally defined status. Only land registered as 'Common Land' is such. Cemeteries will be owned by local or church authorities or occasionally by a private company and will be unlikely to be so registered.

I found my local council (Fenland District Council) absolutely superb with providing the grave location & plans within 24 hours.

All The Best

Chris

How can you 'own' someone's grave, apart from the family?

The majority of graves nowadays are only leased by the family for a set period - usually fifty years but sometimes less.

The family usually only obtains burial rights anyway and not the land itself.

At least, that is the case in the cemetery for which I am responsible and, as far as I know, in most others.