Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William Collie,75th Btn, CEF

Scotsmac

Today I remember my Great Uncle, Private 681712 William Collie, C Company, 75th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force, who was posted as missing after taking part in a night Trench Raid, on this day 100 years ago. In his Service Records he was reported from German Sources to have ‘Died of Wounds whilst a Prisoner of War in Germany’ and ‘Died of Wounds’. I think it is likely that he died in the days after his capture. Great Uncle William was born in 1877 in Dufftown, Banffshire, the oldest of nine children. He had 5 brothers and 3 sisters, the youngest being my Granny Inman (nee Collie). Four of his brothers fought in the the First World war, one of whom also served in the South African War (1899 -1902) and another also in the Second World War. He emigrated to Canada in 1911 with his wife and children and settled in Toronto as a Railway worker. In April 1916 he volunteered and was in France by the end of that year. Great Uncle William was 38 when he died and left his wife Agnes and seven children. His grave was not found and he is remembered, along those Canadian Soldiers who died in the First World War, on the Canadian National Memorial at Vimy in France.

1566498_1.jpg.6c81426f5dec2c617a204fd8bdde1857.jpg1566498_3.jpg.d2b9ed594a807b3290787d5809376b68.jpg1566498_2.png.9f4509f8615afd5464392bc338613dde.pnge001120132.jpg.df3128a8132da9b0041c2ceae3be5241.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello, Im not sure if this site is still being used, but I am doing my Family Tree (and DNA) though Ancestry.. Wondering if possible you'd be able to help me with some names and dates, William was My Great Great grandfather!! Agnes, was my Dads' Moms, Paternal Grandmother!! 
If by any chance someone reads this, PLEASE get back to me!!
My Email is  {email removed by moderators}
I would highly appreciate it!!!

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I've removed your email address from public view, it's never a good idea to put information like that on a public forum. @Scotsmac hasn't visited the forum since last July, but you can send him a private message. 

Michelle

Oh thank you so much!!
I appreciate that.. I did try to send a private msg, but it says i was only allowed to send 0 msgs per day *** 
any way around that??

• Admin

Now you have made one post, you have  access to private messages.