Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eastbourne Sussex Press Oct 1915

pjwmacro

Is any kind member able to look up archives of the Eastbourne press of autumn 1915 for me? I am interested in 22 Battery Motor Machine Guns, which may have formed or trained in the Eastbourne area at this time, before shipping to to India in Feb 1916. The grandson of a member of the battery has a photo in his possession of battery members, captioned Eastbourne. I also believe that a parade was held in the town on Sat 2 Oct 15 at which "motor machine guns" were present. While Eastbourne is a relatively easyride from Bisley, iamcurious to know if the battery may have visited temporarily, or been based in the area for a longer periodof time.

Many thanks

Paul.

Group_Eastbourne_850x794.png.45b90bfd47bf9372c766aa041494d834.png

1 hour ago, mandy hall said:

East Sussex newspapers available online here

http://www.eastsussexww1.org.uk/newspaper-portal/

Mandy

Thank Mandy.  I also beieve there is an Eastbourne history society: http://www.eastbournehistory.org.uk/ who I will try.  I see from their page that Eastbourne had a RNAS station - given the links between the RNAS and the MMGS, this may not be a complete coincidence.

Regards, Paul

Hello Paul

I don't know anything about this but have pm'd you about the society's research group. The online newspapers seem like your best source, however.

Liz  

My thanks to Liz Moloney and Alan Smith of the Eastbourne local history group. Still looks as if there was supposed to be a

Machine Gun Corps (Motors) battery (not sure whether 22 Bty or not) at a Sat 2nd Oct 15 recruiting parade, but then didn't attend for whatever reason. Thanks for your help. Still love to hear from anyone able to add further information. Thanks. Paul

Edited by pjwmacro

Sorry we couldn't help more, Paul, and hope something else turns up.

Liz   (you may remember from an earlier thread of yours that I'm a Mol- not a Maloney!)

44 minutes ago, Liz in Eastbourne said:

Sorry we couldn't help more, Paul, and hope something else turns up.

Liz   (you may remember from an earlier thread of yours that I'm a Mol- not a Maloney!)

Liz - my apologies. See my Alexander Weldon Molony post for updates re your (near!) namesake.