Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgium, October 2004

marc leroux

I finally got around to extracting parts from my journal and added a number of photographs that I took while in Belgium earlier this year.

For those who might be interested, you can see my notes from my trips to Brussels Town Cemetery and from in and around Ypres (Menin Gate, Sanctuary Woods, Tyne Cott).

marc

Fantastic thanks Marc. Particularly liked the Ypres photos.

Robbie

Nice pictures, Marc.

You probably did not know (or it is not of your interest), but behind the Commonwealth Cemetery, there is a German Ehrenfriedhof with ca. 1000 graves of the first world war. The contrast between the two cemeteries lying only 50 m apart really striked me.

bert.

Very well done, Marc, and I noted the name William Tecumseh Sherman amongst the dead listed. Unusual for a Canadian to have the name of the famous US general, or possibly he was a US volunteer.

Hi Terry,

I was commenting to someone else that it must have been very tough for him during the enlistment process, and probably throughout his short military career.

No he was Canadian born, although his parents may have been American. You can see his details here.

Thanks for the comments.

marc