Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Wood artifacts.

chrislock

During a visit to High Wood, 3 years ago, we strolled along Wood Lane. Minutes before, a tractor and plough had passed by the side of us. In about 200 yards of trackside mud, we found heaps of ordinance that we left untouched, ranging from Trench mortars, stick and mills bombs, shells of every calibre, smallarms stuff etc. We also saw many scattered bones. Amongst this stuff, we found several capbadges, buckles, broken bayonets, boot remains and other personal items. Being in a group of servicemen, we felt the stuff should stay there, so we donated the lot to Avril Williams guesthouse, for her small museum. One badge was a Royal Flying Corps capbadge, hell of a find in our book. Can anybody confirm if these items are on display at Avrils please? Also, any information on a RFC crash along the Wood Lane area, would be most welcome ?

Chrislock

They are probably there BUT if so they are not highlighted and I have not seen them.

Why not ask her at www.avrilwilliams.com?

Martin

Martin. I have been back and did not see them. I was told that they were in safe keeping, but they have not appeared. I,m hoping some other pal may have seen them. Chris.

Chris,

If you get to read "Into Battle" by John Glubb you will see why you found so many artifacts

John Glubb built the tramway adjacent this road.

Roop

Chrislock

I was one of the guests staying at Avril's on the evening you gave her the cap badge. As an ex RAF NCO I was very jealous of your find and would have loved it myself. I will be visiting Avril's in April 2005 and will try and remember to look out for the cap badge.

Garth

Hi

can you tell me the importance of the Tramway? Why would these artifacts come to light in connection with this?

I love this area but never found much around Wood Lane. any clues ;)

The tramway system on the map was part of the British light railway system built in the latter stage of the Somme battle. Sir John was in a Field Company, who were loaned to assist in some of the work. This tramway did not run in the area of Wood Lane, as you can see on the map, which is a little skewed, as Sir John did draw it from memory in the c.1960s!

Hi Kirky,

As Paul explains above, the tramway is only relevant in tying John Glubb to the actual events in the book for those Forum members who may wonder who he is.

However in the book he vividly explains the terrible conditions in this area due to atrocious weather and shelling. He further explains the number high of dead in various stages of decay ,the mud ,the flooded shellholes and the lack of battlefield clearance of these dead due to the urgency of moving forward with the advance.

It is this latter point I wished to make, with relation to Chris finding artifacts in this area. JG further makes note of many dead being used in their haste to repair shell holes in the road.

Hope that is clearer.

Roop

Hi Garth. Now theres a coincidence! You should of approached me mate, you never know! Any ideas on capbadge? Cant be that many per sq yard! The mind boggles on the story this badge could awaken. Have been back to this location many times during the ploughing season, have noticed several locals with metal detectors working the lane. Perhaps the above by roop explains it. Awful place! :(

Re the cap badge RFC, are we considering that it belonged to the pilot of the crashed plane? If so, would he be wearing his cap during the flight or a flying helmet??

( my wife made this observation )

tony

Remember a lot of RFC AMs were transferred to the RFA in 1916 as signallers. Many were killed carrying out these dangerous duties on the ground; nothing to do with flying. In my opinion, this is more likely to be from one of these.

A classic example is AM2 Reggie Hobbs, who is buried in Quarry Cemetery at Montauban. He died in1916 aged only 16. See:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=245355

Although his RFA posting is not on the CWGC database, I have the RFA war diary somewhere that mentions his death. Having researched a few of these types of casualties they are rarely mentioned as being attached RFA.

:D Paul, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge!

Have a great Xmas and New Year and I hope to bump into you again next year on The Somme,

tony

• 4 months later...

Chris

During my recent stay at Avril's I had a look for the RFC cap badge but no joy. It was not on display in the cabinet she keeps in the old dining area.

Garth

Garth

Oh that was why you were rummaging around all the time!

Hope you are OK.

Adelaide Cem. pics now psoted off the their righful owner.

Regards

Martin