Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Service Co. 1st Res. CN Battalion Suffolk Regiment

Mangoman

Have found nothing at all on this Company. From its name I hazard to guess that it was a Service Company to supply men to other units and was also a Construction (CN?) Battalion. However in the man's service papers it does point out that he was sent to hospital in Taranto which Indicates he was at one stage in Italy.That's all I have to go one at the moment so any help as to here they serve would be most appreciated.

2nd Btn Suffolks.JPG

Taranto.JPG

The stamp on the right is clearer, it's GN, not CN, for Garrison Battalion, I think.

David,if this was a garrison Battalion how would they have been serving in Italy? I know nothing of the foibles of the military as you probably gather?

1st (Reserve) Garrison Battalion Suffolk Regiment was raised in March 1916 at Gravesend and remained in the UK throughout the war.

Would really need to see all the service papers for this chap, but perhaps he was posted back to the UK after being in hospital in Italy? To my knowledge no Suffolk battalions fought in Italy.

Here are his service papers

Charles Bressington Casualty (1).jpg

Charles Bressington Casualty (2).jpg

Charles Bressington Statement of Services.jpg

Sorry, my poor eye sight. If he was in Italy after being posted to the 1st Garrison Battalion, I guess he must have subsequently been posted overseas as part of a replacement draft to another unit?

That's what I thought but i cannot trace him being transferred to another Company. Two of the companies served in France and the third in Italy but as i say I cannot trace a transfer.

Curious indeed. The regimental history states one company (doesn't say which unfortunately) of the 1st Garrison Battalion served overseas in France as part of the Lines of Communication, and remained there till the end of the war. There's no reference in the regimental history to another company in Italy, but I guess it's not impossible.

Steve

Need to amend my last statement regarding the the Companies that went overseas. Two went to the Mediterranean - but do not know which ones - and one went to France. His record states that he served in France from 5.9.1917 until 16.1.1919 yet clearly he must have served in Italy/the Mediterranean if he was treated in hospital in Taranto, Italy. As you say he must have been transferred at some stage but there is nothing to this effect on his Statement of Services.

Having looked at his papers on FindMyPast, certainly he was with the same company when he was admitted to 79 General Hospital. He then returned to the same unit before being posted to 3rd Battalion Suffolk Regiment in the UK for discharge.

The strange thing is, there is a statement in his papers which reads 'Served in France 5.9.1917 to 16.1.1919 =1 year 134 days" (suggesting the 2nd Company was in France), but, as you rightly say, 79 General Hospital was in Italy!

On 5/31/2017 at 19:16, SFayers said:

The strange thing is, there is a statement in his papers which reads 'Served in France 5.9.1917 to 16.1.1919 =1 year 134 days"

It is possible that, for some records purposes, "France" was used to include service in Italy, since the troops sent to Italy virtually all came from France.

It is also possible that the company of the Suffolks was somehow involved with guarding or regulating the Mediterranean Lines of Communication, a rail route which ran from Cherbourg to Taranto, and that he was injured or taken ill on the Italian "leg" of the journey. The actual area of fighting of the British Force in Italy was in the north-east, rather than further south.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Your assistance is very much appreciated Ron. It has helped me a lot.