Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms,arms, insignia, medals

tonycad

I have just finished reading a book on the role of the 2nd Battalion of the Monmouthshire Regiment in World War 1.

All the men in the photographs in the book are wearing the following cap badge I thought this badge was that of the 1st Battalion. If it is in fact that of the 2nd Battalion, what is the following badge in the second photograph.

post-23-1103391606.jpg

Badge 2.

Ihave this badge in my collection, which is as the first badge, but it is sitting on a scroll that is stamped 2nd Batt Monmouthshire Reg.

Pals, is there something wrong here, or am I missing something.

Tony

post-23-1103391921.jpg

I have been told that the 1st Bn wore the Welsh dragon in white metal and the 2nd wore the identical badge in brass. (According to Gaylor) Cox says the opposite in metal usage while K and K say white metal for the 1st.

Huhhhhh?

DrB

:(

DrB.

Thank you for your response.

From the sharp contrast in the photographs in the book between the white of the badge and the dark material of the hat, I would suspect that the badge is a silvered one.

In any event, yor reply raises the question on the validity of the badge with the name of the 2nd battalion on the scroll. Would a Pal have a view on the authenticity of this badge.

Thank you

Tony

I belive that the first battalion wore a white metal dragon until 1922 when it changed to a smaller dragon surrounded by a wreath with battlehonours. The 2nd -4th battalions wore the same dragon in brass. I have examples of the different soldiers badges. The officers of the 2nd and 3rd Bns had badges with the scroll with the battalion tiltle added and the dragon was of a different design.

Max7474

Thank you for your comments on the Monmouthshire badges. which fit the background to my questions. Yet some more badges to buy for my collection!.

Herewith, a photograph of the 1922 badge to which you referred. It is in brass.

Thank you

Tony

post-23-1103661016.jpg

Interesting it is in brass. That does not quite ring true as the post WW1 version should be in all whitemetal. The officers would have worn bronze or silver badges of that pattern but brass is odd. Is it a cast or die struck badge?

As an aside I have a cap badge book printed in 1941 that states the first bn converted to RA (in the Territorial reorganisation of 1937 I presume) and wore the Gunners badge.