Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sunken Lane - New Owner

Frajohn

On 01/06/2017 at 23:32, Muerrisch said:

I do so agree. The 1970s and 1980s were good for the old scrotes: Rose Coombes' book in hand, an early CWGC overprint map, rough and ready digs [I suspect one in Mons doubled as a brothel], no coaches, no kids ............... just reverance and wonderment and awe. I remember an unofficially guided tour led by a Canadian volunteer underground at Vimy, a cantankerous custodian [rum - swilling ] at Bedford House, a chaotic evening at Old Tom's Pub in Ypres, and The Last Post with three spectators and a dog and the devoted firemen of Ypres.

We oldies must treasure thse memories and learn not to condemn change for condemnation's sake.

I have just rediscovered some of my old slides taken during trips to the Somme in 1978 and 1981. You could go for miles on the Somme without seeing anyone else.
All these photos were taken by me, during 1981, with the exception of the second photo, which was taken in 1978.
As can be seen the inside of the Hawthorn Crater was slightly overgrown!

Sepoy

NB I remember the strange bloke at Bedford House! As for my favourite billet in Ypres (it closed in 1980 to become a Catholic Chemists) had beds literally held up with orange boxes.

BEAUMONT HAMEL ENTRANCE TO SUNKEN LANE 81.jpg

HAWTHORN REDOBUT FROM CEM 78.jpg

HAWTHORN REDOUBT INSIDE THE CRATER 81.jpg

HAWTHORNE REDOUBT THROUGH THE OVERGROWTH TO THE CRATER RIM 81.jpg

HAWTHORN REDOUBT TOWARDS WHITE CITY 81.jpg

HAWTHORN REDOUBT TOWARDS THE SEAFORTH MEM AND SUNKEN RD 81.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Sly, like Tony I would like to wish you good day. Perhaps the taciturn Brits you met were concerned they might be trespassing, or worse still worried that they might have had to speak French.........:thumbsup:

Pete.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - PG Wodehouse , The Luck of the Bodkins.

1 hour ago, Ghazala said:

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - PG Wodehouse , The Luck of the Bodkins.

Exactly the quote I was thinking of but was too indolent to look up, merci beaucoup monsieur.

Pete.

just picked up my little green book, from the auction site, price dropped from £7.50 to £2.99 inc p&p, with map. look forward to using it in the future

• 2 years later...