Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serre trench photograph

brindlerp

Earlier this year, I found a couple of photographs on the .net that were briefly described as being taken somewhere near Beaumont Hamel.

My current reading is SERRE - Somme by Jack Horsfall and Nigel Cave in the Battleground Europe series.

The photograph attached is the same one that appears smaller on page 85 of this book.

"Written on the back of this photograph is the following:

'A wonderfully clear picture of the actual ground we had to traverse on Nov. 13/1916 at Serre, shewing double belts of extra heavy enemy wire and shocking mud and water, which explains why several men were drowned in the attack.'

"

Regards

Richard

post-4-1103379108.jpg

the other photograph I have yet to identify attached

post-4-1103379779.jpg

The first one looks like my yard come spring when the ice and snow melts. You could not pay me to walk let alone fight in that mess, no wonder the elements were almost as formidable as the German defenders.

I have a few photos of the Serre/Gommecourt/Beaumont area taken before the mass destruction. I will dig them out and post them along with these two fine examples, nice photos.

Ralph

Recently I have seen several pictures like the first, some have been discussed on the Forum as well. I am leary about these pictures because it seems like there is so much back lighting that the scene might be staged. Also the reflection of the wire in the water seems odd.

What do others think?

Andy

Andy

The pictures appear a syou describe because they have been electronically enhanced. The slight overuse of contrast and excess brightness has given them a bad feel. These photographs would have been sepia (ish) with age originally.

Roop