Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could you resign from the Territorial Force?

Old Cove

Talking to an aged second cousin about what he knew of his father's experiences at Gallipoli he mentioned that his father (who was a farmer's son working on the farm) had volunteered for the Buck's Yeomanry when the war started  while two older brothers who were already in the Yeomanry prior to the war had "decided to be farmers when the war came", by which I understood him to mean that when war came they had left the Yeomanry to continue working on the farm.  So I'm wondering under what circumstances a territorial soldier could resign from the TF in peacetime - other than at the expiry of the term he had signed on for, and whether resignation became more difficult after mobilisation? (Recognising of course that everything would change later with conscription.)

Roger

7 minutes ago, Old Cove said:

Talking to an aged second cousin about what he knew of his father's experiences at Gallipoli he mentioned that his father (who was a farmer's son working on the farm) had volunteered for the Buck's Yeomanry when the war started  while two older brothers who were already in the Yeomanry prior to the war had "decided to be farmers when the war came", by which I understood him to mean that when war came they had left the Yeomanry to continue working on the farm.  So I'm wondering under what circumstances a territorial soldier could resign from the TF in peacetime - other than at the expiry of the term he had signed on for, and whether resignation became more difficult after mobilisation? (Recognising of course that everything would change later with conscription.)

Roger

To leave the force early in peacetime a man could purchase his discharge. This could be levied as a charge of up to £5.

After mobilization purchases would be halted and any discharge would be at the discretion of the army (unless a man's term expired before the MSA 1916).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

To leave the force early in peacetime a man could purchase his discharge. This could be levied as a charge of up to £5.

After mobilization purchases would be halted and any discharge would be at the discretion of the army (unless a man's term expired before the MSA 1916).

Craig

Would I be right in thinking that Officers could resign much more easily?

Regards,

Mike

12 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Would I be right in thinking that Officers could resign much more easily?

Regards,

Mike

As far as I'm aware a commission could be resigned at any time.

Craig

31 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

As far as I'm aware a commission could be resigned at any time.

Craig

But difficult in wartime- there has been stuff on GWF about officers cashiered and dismissed the service in wartime- marched in as an officer, marched out reduced to the ranks as a private. So-Craig, now that you have burnt your Sunderland season ticket and tried to re-name it Stadium of Sh**e(rhymes with light)-would this be possible- A Territorial officer resigns but is still considered a private in the Territorials- What was the wording of the all the forms they had to sign to become a TA officer?? Was it in addition to enlistment in the TA

And another thought:  It was quite common for ORs to step down- usually from probationary LCPL ("unpaid") I suspect there must have been officers who felt they couldn't hack the responsibility, resigned and then served in the ranks.

Thanks Craig.  These young men were definitely not officers so I wonder who would exercise the discretion you mentioned?  Someone at a local level (who might be sympathetic to the farming community)?  Otherwise it looks like they were just lucky with the timing.

A Territorial officer resigns but is still considered a private in the Territorials- What was the wording of the all the forms they had to sign to become a TA officer?? Was it in addition to enlistment in the TA

As far as I'm aware the officer was still commissioned, just on T.F. terms - he held no position in the T.F. ranks.

If he resigned after the MSA 16 then he would enter the Class B reserve so would no longer a territorial as TF enlistment terms didn't apply at that point.

And another thought:  It was quite common for ORs to step down- usually from probationary LCPL ("unpaid") I suspect there must have been officers who felt they couldn't hack the responsibility, resigned and then served in the ranks.

I have heard of it happening.

Craig

5 minutes ago, Old Cove said:

Thanks Craig.  These young men were definitely not officers so I wonder who would exercise the discretion you mentioned?  Someone at a local level (who might be sympathetic to the farming community)?  Otherwise it looks like they were just lucky with the timing.

I suspect they were just lucky with leaving before the war - in August 1914 a trained soldier would be more valuable than a farmer (of which there were plenty initially)

Who where they ?

Craig

On 25/05/2017 at 21:08, ss002d6252 said:

I suspect they were just lucky with leaving before the war - in August 1914 a trained soldier would be more valuable than a farmer (of which there were plenty initially)

Who where they ?

Craig

The Royal Bucks Hussars spent the first winter of the war billetted in Great Ryburgh, Norfolk.  In April '15 they sailed for Egypt and then In August they sailed again, dismounted, for Gallipoli.  My great-uncle, the volunteer (#1), was temporarily blinded as they went forward for the attack on Chocolate Hill on 21 August.  Later he heard voices that he recognised (this was surviving men returning from the attack), he called out to them and they brought him back to their own lines.  Subsequently he was returned to England and spent time in Netley Hospital.  He didn't serve overseas again as far as I am aware and was discharged with a Silver War Badge in early 1919.  I would prefer not to give out name and service number while his son is still alive without his agreement.  I don't have any information about the pre-war service of the two older brothers who left the Hussars and returned to farming.

Roger