Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme, Serre.

17107BM

I know it's a locked thread, but non the less, our party were looking to to pay our respects at this Important point in the line. 

Were not young Un's on the Battle Field trail and would not be able to jump out of the way of a on-coming vehicle, in our direction.

So, What is the situation at Serre?  We will go! And will not be stopped!

It might be wise to phone the CWGC at Arras or Ypres for an update.

Keith

Thanks Keith..

I have no special status with CWGC but have sent a message suggesting that a carefully worded update on the website might be sensible at this busier time of the year.

Forgive me to add to this thread Keith but I was informed by a an English resident near to Serre that the person in question did spend some time in custody over a previous engagement. When I was at the copses a couple of weeks ago he was still patrolling but without the confrontation.

Most of reported incidents are triggered by cars driving up the farm track.If possible park at Serre Rd cemeteries and walk up or drop off and pick up at start of track. Be careful the main road is quite a fast stretch.

Thanks Terry. 

Will watch for up dates.

Cheers

On 24/05/2017 at 21:17, 17107BM said:

I know it's a locked thread, but non the less, our party were looking to to pay our respects at this Important point in the line. 

Were not young Un's on the Battle Field trail and would not be able to jump out of the way of a on-coming vehicle, in our direction.

So, What is the situation at Serre?  We will go! And will not be stopped!

I would strongly advise against inviting confrontation.

Please bear in mind that you are the 'foreigner', and, the local police are unlikely to side with anyone other than a local in such a situation.

(and i say this as someone who has incurred this individuals wrath, for simply WALKING up the track)

21 hours ago, caulkheader said:

I would strongly advise against inviting confrontation.

Please bear in mind that you are the 'foreigner', and, the local police are unlikely to side with anyone other than a local in such a situation.

(and i say this as someone who has incurred this individuals wrath, for simply WALKING up the track)

Xenophobic nonsense.  The local police will not side with anyone. 

I shall be visiting the copses within the next few days. I will simply walk up the track, and stay cool and friendly. Hopefully no issues will arise. If visitors walk, and stick to the tracks, then there are no excuses for aggression. My French isn't up to much, but I can manage a very slow conversation, and trust that will suffice. clearly the farmer has been feeling pressurised; all we can do is be sensible.

Therer are no updates from CWGC so presumably there have been no further significant incidents.  That's fine; we walk past snarling dogs etc in Macedonia and Gallipoli without disaster, so hopefully a calm attitude, and maybe a smile or a wave,  will suffice.

we are looking to visit the area in late July, especially after watching a re run of Tony Robinson's Sheffield Pals story on Discovery last night.

I visited yesterday. When I was just starting to walk back from the Sheffield Memorial Park along with a young Dutch couple, the farmer drove up, and a few minutes later came back down the track. he drove past us, then stopped his car and approached us asking if we were English. I pleaded guilty, and he wanted to tell me that Judy Dench had been filming in his farmhouse. I didn't manage to establish whether this was recent or years ago, but he was calm and bad us farewell before driving back down the track to his farm.

Keith

SOE ??? :ph34r:

you should have asked if his father was a chicken!!

seriously, where did you park, looking to visit next month.

As always by the nearer British cemetery on the main road. I always have walked up to that area.

• 3 weeks later...

The farmer in question is maybe best described as eccentric. I have met him several times and I was told the judy dench story about 5 years ago!

I always used to drive up the track and park at serre road no3, but 2 years ago I met him on the track and he wagged a finger at me as if to say no. We had a quick polite conversation and he told me to park in the pull-in a few yards up the main road from the track. I  did this on that one occasion, but I now always park outside serre road no1.

Anyway, I was there a couple of days ago and noticed copious amounts red and white plastic tape fencing off the former parking area outside serre road no3, as well as other areas.  He also drove up and down the track while I was there, presumably to check for errant visitors. I gave him a cheery wave - not sure if it was reciprocated. 

My advice is park at the cemetery, walk up, wave, smile and humour him. Who knows what tipped him over the edge, but it would seem that vehicles on the track are the root cause. Certainly don't be put off going, but don't inflame the situation either. 

• 3 months later...

We went yesterday and parked outside the cemetery . Walked up the lane and as expected the farmer drove up past us, slowed down , glared and drove back again. He did the same on the way back and was stood at his gate watching us as we walked past. We just kept to the track , waved and he left us alone. 

• 1 month later...

Went on the 10th November. Parked at Serre No. 1 and walked along to the track. Had just started walking down the track to the Memorial Park and he came driving past us, he then turned around and drove past us again. Thought that would be the end of it, but as we got back to the cemetery along the road he pulled up next to us and started pointing at my daughter and then started talking to her, I think from the conversation that he thought she was Judy Dench!! He then drove off quite happily because I think he thought he had met Judy Dench!!!

Lol - I was there a couple of days before you and he proudly told us this time that he had had Judy Dench AND Bob Hoskins in his house! At least the tension seems to have diffused. 

• 4 weeks later...