Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham and the Great War

Dust Jacket Collector

I've just been reading 'Birmingham and the Great War' by Brazier & Sandford published in 1921. Whilst not the most riveting read it does contain some useful information on such things as Munitions production, hospital services, recruitment etc. and has a handful of interesting photos. 

What I'm wondering is just how many cities & towns produced similar books detailing their wartime contributions. I've come across a few over the years - Croydon, Swindon, Hove, Portsmouth. I can't think of any easy way of searching for such things & I'm not aware of any bibliographies that might list them, so if anyone knows of any others please let me know. I'm specifically thinking of contemporary accounts rather than recent efforts.

a lot more than you realise, Leeds , Norwich, Eye, , Colchester? {i think},a couple of suburbs of Manchester cannot recall the exact name are just some that spring to mind without looking   

The Croydon Roll of Honour (published shortly after the war) includes some general information on events in the town during the war as well as the list of men killed

2 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

a lot more than you realise, Leeds , Norwich, Eye, , Colchester? {i think},a couple of suburbs of Manchester cannot recall the exact name are just some that spring to mind without looking   

Thanks a John. I thought there must be lots of them. What drew me to the Birmingham one was its being in near mint condition in its jacket which I'd never seen before. Not sure whether I should embark on a new collecting area though!

There is currently a modern series published by Pen & Sword using different authors titled 'anytown in the Great War'.

I have the Winchester and Southampton editions and to be honest they're not very specific to the town/city in the titles.

The Winchester edition fails to mention the siege of Kut in which many Winchester men and their families were affected by.

Alan

On 24/05/2017 at 17:06, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Not sure whether I should embark on a new collecting area though!

As Mrs Doyle would say in "Father Ted"-"Ah, Go on!!"    Let us know when the first shelf of the is full

"Croydon and the Great War" is a particularly common book- your one on Birmingham most uncommon-Odd, given that the print-run for the Birmingham one ought to have been quite large.I suspect a few more titles will emerge from members to give a target to go for.

(The Kent County Council published a particularly good report on what it did during the Second World War- Odds are there is something like it for some area during the Great War)

MrSwan, that's an excellent way to approach such a book. I want to read about how the families coped, how the City supported the war and the general attitude to it. The Hampshire Chronicle (a Winchester centric weekly paper) has numerous personal stories contained within which I suspect would make an interesting compilation, most of which did not make it into the said publication. That particular paper has not been digitised and it does take quite a time to gather these together, perhaps that has some thing to do with it.

regards

Alan.

I didn't know about this book and I try searching everything for my husband's grandfather who was Birmingham born and bred. There were several family members from there in the first war plus munitions workers.  He was awarded a military medal so perhaps I should get a copy.  Has anyone ever seen one for Blackwood, Wales or the Welsh valley towns please?

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed ' Hornchurch during the Great War ' ( pub 1920 ) on e bay £25 or offer . Six copies on ABE starting at £ 12.76 .

14 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Just noticed ' Hornchurch during the Great War ' ( pub 1920 ) on e bay £25 or offer . Six copies on ABE starting at £ 12.76 .

It,s not that rare- I have a memory that there is a DJ for it-brown paper with print?  Something to look out for.

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

Yes , it does seem quite common  . But like you say it's another one for DJC to look out for , especially if it's got a jacket !

do not start he will want it signed by all those mentioned in it !!!

2 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

:D

6 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

But of course. This is no time to be letting standards slip.

DJC-  I see that Scheer's "Germany's High Seas Fleet in the World War" is not indexed on the Great War Dustjackets site- Should I dig out my copy and scan a pic of it-Its a rather attractive maix of grey,black and white

• 1 month later...

I would be very interested to see what the dustjacket looks like on the copy of "Birmingham in the Great War"

Terry 

On 23/07/2017 at 23:05, Terry Carter said:

I would be very interested to see what the dustjacket looks like on the copy of "Birmingham in the Great War"

Terry 

Not the most exciting of images, I'm afraid, Terry.

5974b618dbbce_BirminghamandtheGreatWar.jpg.f67917328d8a3667e0d4c6f2d15f86fa.jpg

To bang my own drum, my 'Swansea in the Great War' covers, from a Swansea viewpoint, enlistment, enemy aliens, food rationing, conscientious objectors, industry, fund-raising activity, Belgian refugees, women patrols, women in industry, the Swansea Battalion, VC winners (2), total Swansea casualties (a discussion about it), 1918 flu pandemic deaths, folk at the front including a chap shot down by the Red Baron, a nurse who was captured by the Austrians, a doctor at Gallipoli etc plus a chapter on Swansea lads who returned to fight with Empire forces, having emigrated. And much more...??

Bernard

Edited by Bernard_Lewis

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes you are right not a very interesting dust jacket indeed.

Thanks for letting me see it.

Regards 

Terry