Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm wondering if anybody could give me anymore information on the 2/1 Northumbrian Field Ambulance (82nd Field Ambulance) and their activity during the war. My Great Grandfather, Kirton Ivor Seager Smith, graduated as a doctor in Newcastle in 1914 and joined them the same year. I'm aware that he trained in Doncaster in 1915 as I have some photographs, then went overseas to Salonika in 1916 but I'm unclear as to where he went exactly/ what he did after that.

I've attached quite an official looking 'Elliott and Fry' photograph that has been passed down to me; I think it may have been taken around 1915 during training (possibly in Aldershot), and the man on the front row, on the far right is my Great Grandfather. The man on the far left of the back row is Francis James Blair Robson who I recognise from other photos as having studied at University with my Great Grandfather and serving alongside him during the war.

If anyone could give me more information about the 2/1 Northumbrian Field Ambulance or the attached photograph I would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards,

Fay Seager Brown

FullSizeRender 13.jpg

Hi Fay,

His service file, and the war diary for 82 FA are held by the National Archives (here and here). They may answer a lot of questions that you have. Unfortunately they aren't currently available for download. If you can't visit the NA yourself, I understand that using a locally based file copying service may give you a far more affordable alternative compared to requesting a copy direct from the NA. If you do a basic word search on the forum, hopefully you'll get some hits from others, showing who they used, and can provide some comments/reviews. 

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

@clk Thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards,

Fay