Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were Merchant Navy officers' wives allowed to

Guest Pete Wood

I have a known casualty - a baby - who died onboard the 'Royal George' in 1916. Her name was Mary HN Arnot.

The ship, according to my research, survived the war unscathed. But the ship is described as a troop transport.

So I can only guess that the ship's officers were allowed to take their wives onboard....?? If not, can anyone tell me if troop transports were also used as (civilian) passenger ships...??

Thanks.

Dear RT,

After bringing over the C.E.F. in Oct. 1914, the next task for HMT Royal George was the transporting of the 10th. Middlesex Btn. territorial troops for Bombay.

She then went to Karachi to embark women & children, the families of the regular soldiers, and the remnants of the regiments which had been withdrawn from India by Lord Kitchener.

(Account by Capt. F.J. Thompson who commanded the Royal Georgefrom 1911-1915. Sea Breezes Oct.-Nov.1960)

The Royal George was then still one of the Royal Line fleet - the other ship being the Royal Edward

She was bought by the Cunard Company in 1916, still continuing as a troopship.

The baby Mary may have been coming home with more soldiers' families.

Have you any more details - Parents, DOB?

Kath.

Previous pic. one of set of postcards produced for returning Canadian Forces.

Attached is envelope.

Kath.

post-24-1103488797.jpg

The baby Mary may have been coming home with more soldiers' families.

Have you any more details - Parents, DOB?

That's all I have. The only way to get more info would be to buy a copy of her death certificate.

There are many more babies and young children on other ships, so I suspect that the transportation of soldiers' families is the answer.