Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

63 (ROYAL NAVAL) DIVISION MIC

Jojessholli

Hey Guys

Are the 63rd (RN) Division MIC available the same as other divisions?  I can't locate one I'm looking for - Harold James Evans R/6266

Thanks for any help in advance!

Regards

Vic

MICs are army records. No such thing as a naval MIC. Naval medal rolls are in ADM 171 at Kew. Able Seaman EVANS (k.i.a. 25/08/1918) was entitled to the Victory Medal and British War Medals but these were never claimed or issued.

All his original WW1 army, RND  and RNVR records are, as michaeldr points out, at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. 

There's a decent bit of information on his on Find My Past if you filter the search for the RND record sets.

It's interesting that he served for 8 years 4 month with 6th Berkshire's before the RND. This would suggest that he most have enlisted in 1908 and served to April 1916 or so - at the expiry of his term of service quite possibly. He was placed in to the army reserve in June 1916 (Military Service Act conscription) and mobilized in Sep 17

Craig

53 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

There's a decent bit of information on his on Find My Past if you filter the search for the RND record sets.

It's interesting that he served for 8 years 4 month with 6th Berkshire's before the RND. This would suggest that he most have enlisted in 1908 and served to April 1916 or so - at the expiry of his term of service quite possibly. He was placed in to the army reserve in June 1916 (Military Service Act conscription) and mobilized in Sep 17

Craig

Thanks guys

He served from 1908 with the 1/6 RWR and was discharged in 1916 as you say - then it appears when he was mobilized in 1917 he went into Howwe Bn attached to the 1st Royal Marines Bn - he was invalided in 1918 due to gas, but somehow got back into service later in July only to be killed one month later in August. He was my Great Grandfathers brother (so great uncle).  I've only found this information today by accident and I know nothing of the RN divisions so am a bit stuck!

Regards

Vic

He was serving in the Drake Battalion, RND, at the time of his death

It is notable that the Date of Death changes as you move through the three CWGC documents:

Graves Registration Reports gives 2/8/18

Graves Registration Documents also gives 2/8/18

however, the Register gives 25th Aug 1918

The RND history by Jerrold gives the plan for the 25th Aug 1918 as calling for the Drake Battalion to

“clear a communication trench, which ran along the right Divisional boundary to the German trenches half way between Loupart Wood and the Albert-Bapaume road. They were then to operate on the exposed flank of the further advance.”

There were three Drake deaths on 25 August but none between 24 July and 20 August. On 2 August the Drakes were out of the line, training at Louvencourt. The 2 August dates are in error.

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

There were three Drake deaths on 25 August but none between 24 July and 20 August. On 2 August the Drakes were out of the line, training at Louvencourt. The 2 August dates are in error.

Hey Horatio2 - where did you find this information?  I looked at the war diary and there are no deaths listed till two days after his death?

Derived from my personal researches into the RND and Drake Battalion. I believe the RND Roll of Honour is on Findmypast. Action casualties are rarely recorded day-by-day in the war diary but accumulated until the end of operations.

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Derived from my personal researches into the RND and Drake Battalion. I believe the RND Roll of Honour is on Findmypast. Action casualties are rarely recorded day-by-day in the war diary but accumulated until the end of operations.

That makes sense as there were 5 listed as killed two days later, which looked like a summary of the events.