Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonels Medals

Khaki

For your viewing pleasure

Served GW & WW2 prior to WW1 and between wars was a noted explorer, I have other items of his cap badge, identity tags and ephemera.

khaki

0517171052.jpg

A very nice set

regards

Bob R.

Very nice indeed.

Is that a KBE or CBE? I note it is on the civil ribbon rather than the military one.

Regards,

Mike

Dear Khaki,

Good work!

It looks to me like a CBE and obviously your Colonel got around - not least exploring. Please tell us more!

You and I have much in common inasmuch as one always looks for not only Great War officer service, but above and beyond that, a full life and an unusual story.

To illustrate my point (but in no way to detract from your explorer Colonel), is the - sans gallantry - group to A. W. Fagan.

He was born a son of the Manse, and attended Winchester. An Oxford graduate, Arthur Fagan fenced for Great Britain in the Stockholm Olympics, then joined the Indian Civil Service. On the outbreak of the Great War he joined the Indian Army Reserve of Officers, and served in Mesopotamia. Latterly a Political Officer in Persia. Post-Great War, ICS service on the Frontier. Resigned to become a Company Director (Tea) in the City, and married the daughter of a public school Headmaster. Second War service as Intelligence Officer of a Spitfire squadron during the Battle of Britain, latterly RAFVR Squadron Leader. No children...

Kindest regards,

Kim.591ca2112c368_ArthurFaganIAROandICS.jpg.d85f6414d1c1a0288a569e24834f1323.jpg591ca225c569b_AWFaganCollege1904-1909(1).jpg.371e7b9f852bc7adac70452273d7962e.jpg591ca24b9cb54_Faganpossiblystandingatleft.jpg.50e7923a6261080958e5717e6d302463.jpgsmall_Arthur_Fagan_Untitled-3.jpg.1c0f4c3c5a8946a5bb703539cb8c0782.jpg

Thanks Bob, Mike and Kim,

I have always tried to collect medal groups that are different from what we ordinarily see, not an easy task as you know. and yes the neck medal is a CBE civil awarded for his work roaming and evaluating the jungles and forests of  S,E  Asia. not the safest of areas with populations of tigers, snakes and all manner of nasty things.

khaki

I would add this unusual  Naval group, have not done the research on it as yet.  not being conversant with Naval terms  RPO??

Regards

Bob R.

20170518_010410.jpg

20170518_010440.jpg

Edited by robins2

RPO - Regulating Petty Officer, now called Naval Police.

John

Dear Khaki,

Not a scruffy presentation at all: the impressive and originally-mounted medal group speaks for itself - DCMs and Bar being few and far between. What was his name?

For that matter, what was the name of the CBE (Civ) colonel?

While I am at it, here is another man of many parts:-

Capt George Barrett Goyder, VD. Indian Finance Department. A keen Volunteer officer (Punjab Light Horse). Finance Member on the Maharaja of Jodhpur's entourage, 1911 Durbar. IARO (attached iX Lancers, Probyn's Horse) and General List (Assistant Provost Marshal, 36th Ulster Division), 1914-20. Croix de Guerre avec etoile (Fr.). Despatches twice (1917; 1919). Ordre de la Couronne (Belg.) and Croix de Guerre (Belg.). (Wounded: serious leg fracture). 1940 raised Home Guard unit, then reverted to Private.

Kindest regards,

Kim.591dcbe0704ad_CaptG.B.GoyderVD.JPG.64168fc32c2b40e6fc24e1e7c962b0ce.JPG591dcc13e7dfc_CaptG.B.GoyderCrown(B).thumb.jpg.bb8cb4dbfdfd764f2ff768f5d98f5d67.jpg591dcc3340591_G.B.Goyder1920Crown(B).jpg.8d149d4f04260d4f9bce14b57a2dc2ed.jpg591dcc41982f5_GoyderPLH2Apr1909LordMintovisitLahore.jpg.fb0a4af951a03e080d28e484108adf3d.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

The Hussar group bar IRAQ & police medal I posted some time ago, but I forgot to include his St John service medal ? & 27 clasps including a 20 year & 25 year clasp, I don't know how unusual that is but I thought it interesting.

0518170909.jpg

0518170901.jpg

Dear Khaki,

What a super Hussar group with Police connection. His 27-clasp St John is surely unique!

Well done and keep up the good work...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Khaki,

What a super Hussar group with Police connection. His 27-clasp St John is surely unique!

Well done and keep up the good work...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Just checked my grandfathers St John year bars, but could only find the 18 silver ones that he had fashioned into a watch chain. His Serving Brother medal however has 3 clasps which I think denotes 27 years.

Regards,

Mike

That's a very handsome group and supporting material, Kim,

Hi Mike, The orders & medals of St John is something I know nothing about, all I can say to this old vet considering his long war service, his long Police service and his lengthy contribution to St John is "Well done good and faithful servant"

khaki

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Khaki,

Not a scruffy presentation at all: the impressive and originally-mounted medal group speaks for itself - DCMs and Bar being few and far between. What was his name?

For that matter, what was the name of the CBE (Civ) colonel?

While I am at it, here is another man of many parts:-

Capt George Barrett Goyder, VD. Indian Finance Department. A keen Volunteer officer (Punjab Light Horse). Finance Member on the Maharaja of Jodhpur's entourage, 1911 Durbar. IARO (attached iX Lancers, Probyn's Horse) and General List (Assistant Provost Marshal, 36th Ulster Division), 1914-20. Croix de Guerre avec etoile (Fr.). Despatches twice (1917; 1919). Ordre de la Couronne (Belg.) and Croix de Guerre (Belg.). (Wounded: serious leg fracture). 1940 raised Home Guard unit, then reverted to Private.

Kindest regards,

Kim.591dcbe0704ad_CaptG.B.GoyderVD.JPG.64168fc32c2b40e6fc24e1e7c962b0ce.JPG591dcc13e7dfc_CaptG.B.GoyderCrown(B).thumb.jpg.bb8cb4dbfdfd764f2ff768f5d98f5d67.jpg591dcc3340591_G.B.Goyder1920Crown(B).jpg.8d149d4f04260d4f9bce14b57a2dc2ed.jpg591dcc41982f5_GoyderPLH2Apr1909LordMintovisitLahore.jpg.fb0a4af951a03e080d28e484108adf3d.jpg

Kim

Wonderful set along with photos, certificates

Bob R.

2 hours ago, Khaki said:

The Hussar group bar IRAQ & police medal I posted some time ago, but I forgot to include his St John service medal ? & 27 clasps including a 20 year & 25 year clasp, I don't know how unusual that is but I thought it interesting.

0518170909.jpg

0518170901.jpg

another very interesting set, how would you wear the St John's medal with all those clasps???

Regards  Bob R.

18 minutes ago, Khaki said:

Hi Mike, The orders & medals of St John is something I know nothing about, all I can say to this old vet considering his long war service, his long Police service and his lengthy contribution to St John is "Well done good and faithful servant"

khaki

The silver date bars you have were (I think) purchased rather than awarded, and I think they stopped doing them in silver during WW2.  Their Serving Brother/Sister medal was theur actual Long Service Medal. Having said that, it could also be awarded for specific acts of service "above and beyond" irrespective of length of service. I know this is a poor picture, but it shows the VC group of Fred Greaves (9th Sherwoods) that are now in Nottingham Castle. Just behind his VC is his Order of St John, and at the far right is his Serving Brother with 2 clasps. I think the medal was awarded for 12 years service with each clasp representing a further 5 years.

As a quirky note. The Serving Brother/Sister medal is (I believe) the only medal that we issue today that still carries the effigy of Queen Victoria.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Nottingham Castle 005.JPG

12 minutes ago, robins2 said:

another very interesting set, how would you wear the St John's medal with all those clasps???

Regards  Bob R.

Thanks Bob,

A good question, the only thing I can think of is that there were other progressive bars, it so happens that all these are together (my good luck), the top two being in silver for 20 and 25 years and my guess is to replace the wearing of all the others, there may have also been five and ten year bars ? who knows ?

Just to clear the cupboard of my St John Medals and medical related here are a few

1914 star

1914/15 star & MID

Anglo/French Ambulance Service with C de G, (pair named to British member)

0518171229.jpg

0518171235.jpg

0518171240.jpg

Edited by Khaki

I thought that I had a St John/Red Cross GW pair but I can't find it at the moment, you know, come to think of it the 1914 Star trio is the only one I have seen but that doesn't mean too much, perhaps our medal experts can tell me more about the number of 'Mons' 1914 star trios to the RC and Ord of St John ?

khaki

Did find this though, I can't take credit for it as it appears as it was when I purchased it  over thirty years ago somewhere overseas (Australia?) still displays nicely and have never seen any reason to mess with it. Badge vintage no idea, one ribbon is identified as Sth Africa 1889-1902

khaki

0518171704.jpg

Edited by Khaki

Hi Khaki,

A very interesting display that one - particularly the South Africa ribbon. The medal it represents is quite a rarity, and is shown on the following link........

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/22985180/Boer_War_St_John_Ambulance_Brigade_Medal_for_South_Africa.html

Sorry its a sales site - but the auction is long over. The pictures however are very good clear images. The "service medal" ribbon on your board is that of the one I now realise that I incorrectly referred to as the "Serving Brother" - on the right end of Fred Greave's VC group. The "Serving Brother" is the one next to Fred's VC. As you can see by that error, I am no expert on these either!

If your display all relates to the same chap - and it looks like it does to me - It would date everything very nicely to the early part of the 20th century. My grandfather served with them from about 1916 to about 1945, and I have several pieces of his that look very similar. There was never any military connection with my ancestor, but he was the leader of the local St Johns brass band. He was allegedly quite a good Cornet player, though I never got to hear him. He died in the late 1950's before I was born.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That's a neat medal, I hadn't seen one before, you learn something new all the time.

khaki

I thought I would add a couple of more sets to this thread, once again guilty of not doing research, have been unable to establish if both sets are issued to the same soldiers in regards to service in Boer war/ and then service in WW1.India/Boer War, WW1, any help in that regard would be most welcome

regards

Bob R.

20170519_221203.jpg

20170519_221222.jpg

20170519_221259.jpg

20170519_221321.jpg

Two great groups Bob, some desirable bars to the QSA, wish I had them, thanks for posting,

regards

khaki