Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messines 7.6.17.

17107BM

Hello all.

Looking to be there for the Centenary, Just to ask, would I be best advised to leave the car in Ypres given the security situation around these events these days?

And if so, Is there any transport from Ypres to Messines public or other wise. We thought about walking it, But the age factor made us reconsider.

Thanks for any advice Pals.

Cheers.

Been there a few weeks ago. If you like a small walk you can park your car in Wijtschate .About half an hour walk to Mesen. 

Enjoy your stay!

Grtz,

Tom

There is a pretty good bus service from the square in Ieper to Messine, costs very little. Can't remember what the bus number is I'm afraid but it should be easy to find out once you get there.

Thanks for your replies Pals.

I will look to see If there are any organized transport from Ypres, given that there are some that don't have a car. 

Any further help welcome.

Cheers all.

just a thought...

one thing to factor in to your visit is , this year celebrations of the Somme had places reserved for dignataries and big event. do you know if any are planned for Messines.

ie, roads close, access to certain areas by ballot only.

I know we had to apply for tickets for the event at the Island of Ireland Peace Park and Round Tower at 14.00. According to local Belgian media HRH Prince William and his wife will be attending so that will probably up the security level a bit.

It appears, from Google, that the Irish Government and the Northern Ireland Office can provide detail. Just in case you were not aware.

On 18/05/2017 at 00:16, chaz said:

just a thought...

one thing to factor in to your visit is , this year celebrations of the Somme had places reserved for dignataries and big event. do you know if any are planned for Messines.

ie, roads close, access to certain areas by ballot only.

Hello.

This being my point. At our age and condition, and from what i have found on the net. We would do best to get transport from Ypres if possible, Hope to find some..

Cheers

12 hours ago, 17107BM said:

Hello.

This being my point. At our age and condition, and from what i have found on the net. We would do best to get transport from Ypres if possible, Hope to find some..

Cheers

A taxi would surely be your best bet. Vlaamse Taxis are usually reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested to commemorate the centenary of the battle of Messines I have written an article entitled 'Casualty Evacuation Scheme, Battle of Messines, 7-12 June 1917' which is available for free download from my personal website: http://www.pshistory.com/articles/casualty-evacuation-scheme-battle-of-messines-7-june-1917/

There are also lots of photos on my Messines100 Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/Messines100/

Thanks

Paul