Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own Royal West Kent Gazette online

keithfazzani

Thanks Padre

Bet you spent ages buffing that one up

(Damned fine website, though)

Unfortunately the Buff's equivalent The Dragon wasn't published during the war. But the 1920's editions, which contain a lot of war related material will be going on-line shortly.

Thanks Keith.

Andy

2 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

The Queen's Own Gazette for 1914,1915,1916,1917,1918, 1919 now available on-line here http://thequeensownbuffs.com/#

This is a superb resource. I have just spent an hour trawling the Gazettes for 1914 and 1915. They are an extremely rich source of information and are a fantastic addition to the online archive material. Please extend my thanks to the team who worked on this. It is quite wonderful. Are there any plans to re-publish the pre War editions? The restructuring of the Army between the Boer War and the Great War is a particularly interesting period. Would be interested to know if there are any musketry scores from 1906-1913. 

The casualty lists should make it possible to rebuild the 1914 and 1914-15 Star rolls with the fates of the men, which would create a rare insight into the nature of the attrition. There is also an interesting nominal roll of re-enlisted men which will shed some light on a little understood area of recruiting and the seeding of Kitchener battalions with NCOs.

One snippet I particularly liked was the info on POWs gleaned from an RAMC officer who was exchanged. It gives a interesting snapshot. One Sgt had removed his stripes to avoid being targetted. Beatings appear to have been fairly routine. Some fascinating detail on the profile of the POWs, most of whom appear to have been wounded. 

There are lots of little gems in these publications. 

If you would like constructive feedback I can PM some constructive comments. 

Regards

Martin

Edited by Guest

I haven't downloaded it, but there is an edition  dated January 1920, under the category 1930-1939, so somewhere there is an error in the date. Perhaps you could pass this on Keith. Maybe also for viewers without specific knowledge, who might arrive at the website through an internet search, a few brief details could be added to the website about the magazines on the website such as the regiment which produced them and publication date range. 

Cheers

Maureen

I will indeed pass the comments on to the team of one, who put this online. There are plans to put further years online. Glad that people are finding it useful.