Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarification needed on war grave status

Will O'Brien

Terry..............I would be obliged if you could confirm my understanding on CWGC's position regarding war grave status.

Am I correct in thinking that if a former soldier/sailor/airman/marine died within the qualifying dates but did not die of a war related wound/injury or condition caused by the war he would NOT qualify for war grave status.

The reason I ask is that I have been doing some research on a chap for a member of my extended family & have found what I believe to be the scenario I have just mentioned EXCEPT for the fact that the deceased is listed with CWGC & therefore has been given war grave status......................As such I 'm having a little trouble getting my head round why this has occurred if my understanding is correct

Will

Your understanding is basically correct.

A former member of a Commonwealth armed force had to die during the qualifying dates of wounds/injury/illness sustained whilst in service during the qualifying dates - or of a condition which had been exacerbated by said wound/injury/illness (ie they might die of a newly contracted lung condition which had been made worse by previous injury due to gas).

It is hard to comment on your case without the details but it is possible that (1) you are wrong and his death was war related or (2) the military authorities were convinced that it was (often by a medical statement on the death certificate backing up statements by the n-o-k). Are you certain he had been discharged officially?

If you wish to email me the details off-Forum, I'll see what I can find out.