Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KERSLAKE, east Surreys, MM, C de Guerre

garfyboy

Morning folks, I am researching a William Kerslake, East Surrey regiment, he was awarded a 1915 trio,a MM and a French Croix De Guerre

Firstly is there anywhere I can find a list of Croix de Guerre recipients? it would be nice to have a date for the award

Secondly, the London gazette date for the MM is 8th august 1916, would anybody happen to have a war diary that possibly has a mention of his award.

His service number was 9997 I believe this was 2nd battalion, he then served with the labour corps (151729) before returning to the east surreys, (L/14155) this time I believe the 7th battalion.

many thanks

Edited by garfyboy

Hi garfyboy

I do not have any listing of him as a CdG and I have over 65,000 names. Not saying I have 100%, but must be close. This does not mean he was not awarded one as quite a few were handed out with out being in the London Gazette. Your best bet is the war diaries of the units he served with, then local newspapers

If you do find the CdG could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

WD for the 2nd Battalion East Surrey's only go to October 1915 on my records. Maybe the rest has yet to be digistised? Not checked Ancestry or TNA yet.

Is this him in the newspapers?! For the wrong reasons. I cannot find a reference to him in the newspapers re a Military Medal or a C d G.

(West London Observer - 23 July 1915 pg.2)

Kerslake - West London Observer - 23 July 1915 pg 2.JPG

Edited by wandererpaul

Having checked his MM card, it says William Kerslake, attached to the Royal West Surreys, so I'll look for those......

W Kerslake
Year; 1916
Service number; 9997
Rank; Lance Corporal
Regiment; East Surrey Regiment
Regiment as transcribed; E Surrey R (Attd 8th Battalion, R W Surrey R)
Force; British Expeditionary Force
Gazetteer date; 10.08.1916
Gazette date; 10 Aug 1916
Medal type; Military Medal, 1914-1920

I've found him in the West Surrey Regt War Diary. So, if you look for the 8th Battalion West Surrey War Diary, you can read when the East Surrey's were attached to this regiment and the action he took part in. The action is well documented. :)

15th July 1915 names him as receivng the MM.

West Surrey Regt - 15 July 1916.JPG

Edited by wandererpaul

Wonderpaul

That's brilliant, I didn't spot the attachment to the west surreys, I will look the action up shortly, and many thanks for the newspaper clip also, great work

4 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

I've found him in the West Surrey Regt War Diary. So, if you look for the West Surrey War Diary, you can read when the East Surrey's were attached to this regiment and the action he took part in. The action is well documented. :)

15th July 1915 names him as receivng the MM.

West Surrey Regt - 15 July 1916.JPG

1 hour ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi garfyboy

I do not have any listing of him as a CdG and I have over 65,000 names. Not saying I have 100%, but must be close. This does not mean he was not awarded one as quite a few were handed out with out being in the London Gazette. Your best bet is the war diaries of the units he served with, then local newspapers

If you do find the CdG could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

Peter

Thanks for that, I will keep searching and if I find anything I will surely let you know

kind regards

Andy

Have you seen this record before? If he rejoined in 1921, would the MoD have his records on file? Or is that too early for those witheld?

Surrey Registers W Kerslake.JPG

Edited by wandererpaul

Yes I spotted that he rejoined in 1921, not sure if that's to early for the MOD to have his records, I shall dig

thanks

1 minute ago, garfyboy said:

Yes I spotted that he rejoined in 1921, not sure if that's to early for the MOD to have his records, I shall dig

thanks

There is something on Ancestry saying there could be records

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=EOo143&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=MinistryofDefenceIndexes&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsln=Kerslake&gsln_x=1&MSAV=1&MSV=0&uidh=ea7&pcat=39&fh=3&h=191862&recoff=&ml_rpos=4

Unfortunately that's just a text document only, no information.

Do you by any chance have his MM card please, I cant find it on ancestry

Andy

His MM card is on FMP. I'll PM you.

35 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

Unfortunately that's just a text document only, no information.

Do you by any chance have his MM card please, I cant find it on ancestry

Andy

Yes, but it tells you his record is still on file, so there could be information within it like his service record. It may be at TNA?

Nice one, thank you

6 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

His MM card is on FMP. I'll PM you.

44 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

Yes, but it tells you his record is still on file, so there could be information within it like his service record. It may be at TNA?

It's an index entry that -providing all the dates match - indicates that his full file is still held by MOD, not yet transferred to TNA.  There's other discussion about this index set elsewhere on the forum.

In fact, since the 7 digit army number matches that also given by wandererpaul above it's a certainty that his full file is held by MOD.

Edited by David_Underdown

6134284 William Kerslake was discharged on 29 March 1934 due to KR para 370 (xvi) so papers still retained by MOD. You will find his enlistment book entry amongst the Surrey, England, Regimental Rolls, 1914-1947, on Ancestry. The originals are held at the Surrey History Centre, Woking. Wanderer Paul only posted the left hand side of his entry. The right hand side under Campaigns, Wounds, Medals, etc, states The Great War - France 1915-16. Mil Medal (London Gazette) 8/8/16, 1914-15 Star, British War & Victory Medals. It also has 161729? Labour Corps.  His Labour Corps number is poorly written.  

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Just joined the site following my discovery of research being carried out on 9997 William Kerslake of the East Surrey's. I have received copies of his service papers from the MOD and there is no mention of his Croix de Guerre? I was wondering what your interest in him is?