Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theft from Vehicles Somme

Frajohn

perhaps they wanted to commit suicide and hoped all this radioactive stuff would do the job !

This thread is becoming very funny

hello from the Somme

2 hours ago, healdav said:

Thieves still broke into it, and stole a bizarre selection ... my daughter's doll.

Stealing child's doll is a really low act.

The only time I've had a break-in was probably because the thieves wanted the car. It was a classic XR2 parked in a well-used car park in Warrington in broad daylight. They didn't take it because the alarm and the immobiliser worked, but the door had to be replaced and they left it in a disgusting state. It smelt like a sewer for weeks afterwards despite professional cleaning. That was the most horrible bit... strangers' body fluids.

I had my car broken into outside my home some years ago, and we had our house broken into not long after. The police said that most house break ins and car break ins were the act of drug addicts, and what they really wanted was something to raise money for the next fix. Rudimentary security will deter them most of the time. Bizarrely, when the car was broken into outside the house, the theif took a three way socket to plug into the cigarette lighter, and heaved the steering wheel cover off. He left behind, having rifled the boot, everything including a generator to pump up tyres worth quite a lot.

The other break in was in Rome, so ethics don't count.

Had my Audi A6 broken into while taking a walk onto Omaha beach 2007. Method used was probably a large screwdriver in the door lock and break it. All that was taken was a coloured small straw ladies bag containing a comb and a few tissues. All other bits thrown out. Should have had a Tranny!

I once had my car broken into in Southampton. They took the radio but it was so rubbish I found it in a bin round the corner, and my selection of tapes (it was an old car) was so naff they were left behind. Maybe there's a moral there somewhere.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I once had my car broken into in Southampton. They took the radio but it was so rubbish I found it in a bin round the corner, and my selection of tapes (it was an old car) was so naff they were left behind. Maybe there's a moral there somewhere.

That's partly why I still favour an old fashioned mobile phone. Nobody would bother to nick it.

On 5/11/2017 at 13:06, sassenach said:

That's partly why I still favour an old fashioned mobile phone. Nobody would bother to nick it.

Au contraire, someone up-thread mentioned drug addicts - apparently the old Nokia's are the drugs dealers favourite phone, because they don't have all the G3/4 satellite tracking records and so on.

around town and village cemeteries our doors are unlocked and windows partially down, when visiting larger military cemeteries we lock the car. and the alarm comes with us!!

DSC_0327.JPG

Edited by chaz

Reminds me of a story, possibly apocryphal, of a gentleman warning a group of Dublin youngsters that there was a big dog in the car in case they had any ideas.  The reply was "...but can he put out a fire mister?"